Tom Strickland vs. Wayne Allard

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by joetiger, Oct 9, 2002.

1. joetiger

joetiger Founding Member

Big Senate race in Colorado; the ads are every bit as mean-spirited and destructive as I've seen, even back home in Louisiana...Allard is the incumbent Republican and hasn't done much, Strickland is a Democrat, kind of a moderate w/ a strong environmental record, and they're neck and neck...They're actually closer in overall philosophy than you'd think.

Why do I bring this up?

Because Tom Strickland played Offensive Tackle for, and graduated from, LSU in 1973...I'm torn!!

2. joetiger

joetiger Founding Member

I can see your point. Around here it's about keeping the economy humming, controlling the still-booming growth, and protecting the nice parts of the state (of which there are many.) Allard's record is less-than-glowing on the environment, which is very important in Colorado.

These two seem to be hurting themselves more than each other with their ads though--lots of mudslinging going on.

People in general are just ready to get the thing over with so that you can watch the news without seeing two commercials for each of them.

3. joetiger

joetiger Founding Member

I've lived here for almost eight years, and have seen the big boom and subsequent bubble-burst--The tech companies in the area, as well as telecommunications and brokerages, have laid a lot of people off. Based on that segment of the economy, which is certainly large, the job market is weak.

But from the perspective of a normal working person like me, I've seen half of my company decimated, and the folks I've stayed in touch with have managed to rather quickly find other jobs here in Denver. Same with friends--nobody is unemployed for long. So, the jobs are definitely still here--Banks, construction (the housing market is still sky high,) customer service, restaurant industry, etc. jobs are still available and being filled. People might not being doing the job that they dreamed of, but they're working and that's good enough.

I'll tell you though, I'd trade the home valuations here for the ones in Louisiana! My wife and I are on the verge of buying a house and you do not get a whole lot of bang for your buck if you want to live in the city...