today in food history 5/5/04......and celebrating nat'l hoagie (po' boy?) day

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by snorton938, May 5, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

Wednesday, MAY 5, 2004

TODAY’S QUOTE
    “I doubt the world holds for anyone a more soul-stirring surprise than the first adventure with ice cream.”
    Heywood Campbell Broun (1888-1939)

TODAY IN FOOD HISTORY
    * National Chocolate Custard Day
    * National Hoagie Day
    * Totally Chipotle Day

1903 James Beard, culinary expert and cookbook author was born. Quote: “The kitchen, reasonably enough, was the scene of my first gastronomic adventure. I was on all fours. I crawled into the vegetable bin, settled on a giant onion and ate it, skin and all. It must have marked me for life, for I have never ceased to love the hearty flavor of raw onions”.

1936 A patent was granted for the first bottle with a screw cap to Edward Ravenscroft of Glencoe, Illinois.

DID YOU KNOW? - Food Trivia
    26 billion pickles are packed each year in the U.S. That’s nine pounds of pickles per person. More than half the cucumbers grown in the U.S. are made into pickles.

and in celebration of national hoagie day.....let's post a po' boy recipe. :D

Grilled Seafood Po' Boy:

1 pound unpeeled, medium-size shrimp
    1 (10 ounce) fillet farm-raised catfish
    2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 cup roasted sweet red peppers
    1 jalapeno pepper
    1/2 cup light mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons Creole mustard
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons sliced green onions
    8 slices tomato
    8 leaves lettuce
    4 French sandwich rolls, split and toasted

1 PEEL shrimp, and devein, if desired. Cut fish crosswise into 1-inch slices.
    2 COMBINE shrimp and fish in a shallow dish, and sprinkle with Creole seasoning. Cover and chill 2 hours.
    3 STIR together lemon juice and oil; pour over seafood. Cover and chill 30 more minutes.
    4 CUT red peppers into thin strips; pat dry. Seed and chop jalapeno pepper. Stir together red pepper strips, jalapeno pepper, mayonnaise, and next 4 ingredients; set aside.
    5 DRAIN seafood, and place in a grill basket coated with cooking spray.
    6 GRILL, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350 degrees to 400 degrees) 7 to 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and fish flakes with a fork, turning once.
    7 ARRANGE seafood, tomato, and lettuce evenly on bottom halves of sandwich rolls. Spread top halves of rolls evenly with mayonnaise mixture, and place on lettuce.