today in food history 5/10/04 plus a tribut to nat'l shrimps day !!!

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by snorton938, May 10, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

MONDAY, MAY 10, 2004

TODAY’S QUOTE ...
    “Don't be too daring in the kitchen. For example, don't suddenly get involved with shallots. Later, when you are no longer a Lonely Guy, you can do shallots. Not now. If you know coriander, stay with coriander and don't fool around. Even with coriander you're on thin ice, but at least you've got a shot, because it's familiar. Stay with safe things, like pepper.”
    Bruce Jay Friedman (1930- ) The Lonely Guy Cookbook (1976)

TODAY IN FOOD HISTORY
    * National Shrimp Day
    * St. Solangia's Day, patron of shepherds.

1566 Leonhard Fuchs died. He was a German botanist who compiled the first modern, organized listing of plants and botanical terms, 'Historia Stirpium' in 1542. The plant and the color fuchsia were named for him.

1850 Sir Thomas Johnston Lipton, grocer and tea merchant, was born.

1920 John Wesley Hyatt died. He developed the process for making celluloid, the first synthetic plastic. He also invented a water purifying system and a sugar cane mill.

DID YOU KNOW? - Food Trivia
    The term 'venison' originally referred to the edible flesh of any wild animal. During the Middle Ages in England, it referred to the flesh of any animal killed in the hunt. Wild boars, rabbits, hares, bears, etc were all referred to as venison. As recently as the 19th century, even kangaroo was included. Today the term is used to refer to deer meat (wild or farm raised), especially fallow deer, red deer, roebuck, elk, antelope and reindeer.

CULINARY QUIZ
    1) This was originally a term referring to a preparation of vegetables (in aspic) layered in alternating colors in a mold, cooked in a bain marie, turned out and served hot. It takes it's name from the Carthusian order of monks (vegetarians) who probably created it. There is also a story (which has the ring of truth) that on days that meat was forbidden, it would be hidden in the center of the of this dish, enabling the monks to indulge themselves with the forbidden food. This same name is used for a liqueur created by these monks in the 16th century, with a secret formula containing more than 130 plants and herbs.

2) The record for spitting these is 72 feet 7 1/2 inches.

3) What tree was located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at the corner of Brattle and Story Streets, and was cut down to widen the streets in 1876.

4) The Chinese consume 40% of the world's supply of these, and their use in China dates back thousands of years. They use them roasted in hot sand, in simmered dishes and in soups. What are they?

5) The fruit of this tree grows directly on the trunk and looks like a small melon. Inside, the pulp contains 20 to 50 seeds or 'beans'. It takes about 400 of these 'beans' to make a pound of finished product. Name the tree and the finished product.

6) Name the herb variously described as: slightly soapy; like parsley but tangier; cirtusy, biting tang; frangrant; zesty; muddy; a mixture of cumin and caraway; stinky bed bug flavor; smells and tastes of chemicals; pungent; unforgettably pungent; sharp, strong, earthy; sage citrus flavor; clean and distinct flavor; orange peel-like aroma; sweet flavor; slight numbing quality; like wood bugs'; wild and uncharacterizable.

ANSWERS
    1) Chartreuse

2) Cherry Pits. The record in the International Cherry Pit Spit Competition is held by Rick Kraus, with a cherry spit of 72 feet 7 1/2 inches.

3) The "spreading chestnut tree" from the poem "The Village Blacksmith" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It was a real tree.

4) Chestnuts.

5) Cocoa tree and chocolate.

6) Cilantro. It is one of those tastes that people either love or hate, and no one agrees on a description of its aroma or taste

and in honor of nat'l shrimps day....who's recipe does it better than one of chef paul's....

RECIPE: Shrimp Etouffe
    Posted by thai_chi (My Page) on Mon, Apr 12, 04 at 16:27

I've made this Paul Prudhomme recipe many times. The sauce gets better over time and freezes well( without the shrimp). I've made a few changes to the original using prawn butter,garlic, sausage and a lot less butter and ground peppers over all.I only salt food at table so you probably want to add salt to the sauce.

Shrimp (or crawfish) Etouffe

1/2 t cayenne pepper-adjust to preferred spiciness
    1/4 t white pepper
    1/4 t black pepper
    1 t dried basil leaves
    1/2 t dried thyme leaves
    1 t garlic powder

A little garlic powder,sugar,and white pepper to sprinkle over prawns while sauteing.

1/4 cup chopped onions
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

7 T veg oil ( I don't use this much oil and flour- but the sauce isn't as thick when I make it)
    3/4 cup flour ( I use a homemade stock that is pretty gelatinous)

1-2 links cajun sausage- sliced and browned.
    3 cups seafood or chicken or beef stock- I use homemade
    3-4 T butter ( recipe calls for 2 Sticks but too rich for me)
    1 lbs shrimps (or crawfish tails)
    1 cup finely chopped green onions

2 cups steamed rice.

I make a shrimp butter if I have time-but it can be skipped. I save the shells from prawns and freeze them to use later if I'm too busy.
    Melt butter in a pan and add shrimp or crawfish shells. Saute for 5 minutes and add water to cover.
    Simmer for 20 minutes to release shrimp flavor. Strain out shells and chill mixture so butter rises to surface
    and can be skimmed off. Use butter for sauteing shrimp or just add to stock.

Combine seasoning mix in small bowl
    In separate bowl combine onions, celery and bell peppers
    In a heavy skillet on high, heat oil until it smokes.
    Whisk in flour gradually and cook until roux is dark red brown.
    Remove from heat and stir in the vegetables and half of the seasoning mix.
    Stir for 5 minutes.
    Bring stock to a boil and gradually whisk in roux until dissolved.
    Add sausage. Reduce heat to low and simmer at least 4-6 minutes. Keep warm while preparing shrimp.
    Melt butter on med heat. Add crawfish or shrimp and sprinkle with white pepper,sugar and garlic powder and green onions.
    Remove the shrimp.
    At this point you can add another stick of butter if you want a richer sauce stirring in the stock mixture and rest of seansoning mix to taste. Depending on spiciness of sausage- this can get hot.
    Serve with rice

This is adapated from Paul Prudhomme's Louisianna Kitchen