To occupy...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by JD, Jan 10, 2003.

1. JD

JD Founding Member

requires groundtroops. And if the Iraquis fight like the devil, that will take a long, long time and be pretty bloody. I hope our intelligence that they won't is correct. It probably is.
    Still, I can't help but think to the 1940s when russians, ruled by stalin, fought like the devil (and thank goodness they did). Now of course there are 2 immense differences: 1)Hitler was doing the invading; 2)Russia had a long, long history of constantly being invaded and attacked, coupled with a strong national identity, neither of which Iraq has.
    Anyway, I see unrest in "peaceful" middle east within a decade - namely saudi arabia. And we already have Iran and Syria. Looks like a lot of nation building to come. And the problem is that large segments of the population don't want things like meaningful elections, civil and individual rights, bulwarks of western governance. And without them, I'm not sure of the benefits of nation building.

2. Tom

Tom Founding Member

And of course, not only was Hitler doing the invading, but there was ACTUAL INVADING going on. Iraq has not invaded any country in over 10 years. Saddam Sapling on the other hand threatens any nation whose leaders he doesn't like and calls nations part of an Axis of Evil just to try to draw attention away from his failed policies. Trying to quiet criticism by misusing the American military is utterly despicable. But then, Sapling apparently has few morals, which is why he LIES LIKE A RUG most of the time.

3. LSUMJ

LSUMJ Founding Member

Re: Re: To occupy...

by your own admission, north korea is a threat, blix has called iraq in breach of the un agreement, so how are they not part of the axis of evil?
    and 10 whole years without an invasion? wow. of course the destruction of large parts of their forces by us in 91 hasnt hurt that.
    and i know you didnt bring a presidents morals into the equation.
    speaking of lying like a rug, check out my thread from this morning

4. JD

JD Founding Member

Re: Re: To occupy...

Yes but he did invade a country and he;s probably financing terrorists, although I'd like to see a glimpse of some of bush's evidence, of which he has not been forthcoming.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The Iraquis fight like girls. We pissed in their direction and they fell to their knees with their hands in the air. "Please don't kill us, please don't kill us." We should have sprayed their cowardly asses with machine gun fire then moved into Baghdad and beheaded Saddam. If we had, we'd be discussing the economy more.