Time to end this Butch Davis talk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigerskin, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Tigerskin

Tigerskin Founding Member

The guy just had a panic attack. After someone has one of these this can be a very debilitating problem. When someone has one they feel like they can't breathe, are going to die, etc. What is much much worse than that is the complete fear that you are not in control of your body. Scared to death you will break down at any time and you can't do anything about it. Yes there are medicines that can help but he will need some time.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Sorry, Tigerskin, but WHAT?!?! :shock: :confused:

3. Tigerskin

Tigerskin Founding Member

He had a panic attack before, or after, his last game in Cleveland. Right before he quit.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

He wants the LSU job. Every other prime time job in college football has been accounted for. Panic attack or no panic attack, after Saban announces he is leaving, he will jump at the offer to come here.

5. ric flair

ric flair Founding Member

Tony Soprano had panic attacks and he still did a good job.

6. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

If this report is true, I would agree that he would be a terrible choice.

Report: Davis had panic attack
    By Pat McManamon and Jeff Walcoff
    December 1, 2004

Former Browns coach Butch Davis said he had a panic attack a few hours before the loss to Cincinnati.

Davis relayed the information to Peter King of HBO's Inside the NFL.

King spoke with Davis late Tuesday night. Davis has attributed his resignation on Tuesday in part to pressure that had become almost unbearable.

"Starting on Saturday and Sunday over the weekend in Cincinnati, Butch Davis began experiencing some health problems," King said on Inside the NFL. "Sunday before the game he actually had a panic attack in Cincinnati about four hours before the game. He went to see a team medic; who didn't give him any prescription or anything for the field. But he just said, 'I am just concerned that I could have an episode on the field.'

"His agent, Marvin Demoff, concerned about Butch's health, talked to him on Monday, especially after the debacle in Cincinnati and they just agreed that it would be best, all three parties, Demoff and coach Butch Davis and Randy Lerner, the owner of the Cleveland Browns, that we've got to make this divorce and make it clean right now.

"The interesting thing for Butch, though, he is getting every dime that he is contractually owed - $12.1 million through the end of the 2007 season. Which to me is a fairly good thing for the Browns to do pick up that for a guy who in essence is not going to finish even the first year of the restructured contract.

"Butch told me on Tuesday night categorically flat out that he will not he will not coach anywhere in 2005. He told me, 'Look, I need to get my health back. I've gained 25 pounds since I walked off the Miami campus four years ago. I don't exercise. I eat crummy. I'm a mess. I need to go and fix my personal health life.'

"And I think he also is really concerned about his son Drew, 11 years old, to try to provide a little bit more stable atmosphere for him and his wife because they have just been all chewed up by this shredder in Cleveland in the last year or so."

7. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

WRONG!!!!!!!

Nick Saban will be our coach......

8. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Seems a bit like you're waving him goodbye. I don't recall reading anything that said he's definitely leaving, so why talk as if he is?

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

my sources say he is gone.

10. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I myself had a panic/anxiety attack about a year ago. I was stressed and overworked, and just felt like I wasn't where I wanted to be in life. It was just too much for my head and I had a pretty bad attack(first time ever). Since it had been my first attack ever, I was pretty scared. I didn't know what was going on, I truly felt as if I was about to die. Cold sweat, increased heart rate, dizzyness, and just very weak. Anyways, my whole point is that I know how rough it can be during and after an episode like this. It's been a year now and I'm just now pulling out of my "funk". It really took this long for my body and mind to recover from such a tramatic event. The cloud is slowly lifting from my head and I'm starting to enjoy things more now. I can completely understand Davis wanting to take off a whole year before coaching again. I don't see how he could do otherwise.