Time clock rules change

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ParadiseiNC, Nov 8, 2009.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Two years ago the NCAA instituted rules changes regarding when the clock would continue running, and now the clock really seems to run down awfully quick. Case in point, the Bama game in the 4th qtr, LSU burns all of their timeouts, Julio scores on a quick pass down the sideline. There are 10 minutes left in the game, typically an eternity, but Bama is able to run the clock down to <3 minutes when they kick the FG to seal the win (aided by a bogus penalty that gave them 4th and 1 that they go for and make instead of punting on 4th on 6, but we won't focus on that). Of course, LSU f'd up by using their timeouts, but still the games are running out so quickly now. I think it has effected several games for us over the last two years. I, for one, do not like the all of the time clock changes. I feel teams are not really able to mount a comeback sometimes, where in the past, they could have. The games kind of become anti-climatic sometimes at the end with the time just running out. Time management skills for the offense don't even come into play b/c they don't even get the ball back.

2. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

don't forget that miles and saban both tried to call timeouts on that play but they credited it to miles.

3. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

If you are talking about the rule I think you are, they scrapped it after only one season.

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Sorta. Clock stops on first downs again, but only until it is whistled as ready to play by the ref. Clock used to stop on first downs and not start until the next snap.

5. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

This is incorrect. the clock has always started back at the ready for play signal after a first down.

6. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

i thought it wasn't just one rule, but several, that have combined to have the effect of quicker games. anyone out there with insight about this?

7. LSUGradin99

Yeah you're right. Sometimes I post something, then realize "wait, what did I just say?" Then I go to edit and someone has already quoted it. :hihi:

8. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

I mean no disrespect. I know you mostly know what you are talking about.

9. LSUGradin99

Now I know you're lying cause I don't even know what I am saying half the time.

..... What I was saying applied to changes of possession.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

that one has puzzled me.