Thoughts on the game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by J_Oats, Oct 21, 2001.

1. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

First off, I'd like to brag a little. While everyone was saying how Mississippi State was going to be an energized team looking to bounce back from a tough loss against an inferior team, much like LSU did last year, I saw it differently. I say a demorilized MSU team that had no spirit, no fire because they had lost all hope of having a good season. Guess I was right.

It's really getting to the point where I think we may have to start worrying about JReed leaving early. The only good thing is the trend is toword tall recievers now in the NFL, so some pro teams may be scared off by his height, but if he comes back for his senior season and performs like this, they can't ignore Josh. I say if he leaves early, he's a late 1st round pick, if he comes back, and is all-american, belitnicof(sp-wow thats bad) award winner and the like, they will be forced to take him. He'll be a top 10 pick if he comes back.

I think coach made a good desicion to take Wilkerson out of the game. playing against a blitzing team like MSU is not where you want a true freshman at center. Although I'm not happy about S.Peterman's injury, I hope coach gives him some time to heal up ;) so they can put my dream o-line in there. Rob Sale at Left Guard, Ben Wilkerson at Center, and Dwayne Pierce at Right guard.

I was excited to see the young players play. Marquis Hill and Marcus Spears both played well. God is Spears a huge man.

The secondary was just murdering them kids. That Demetrius Hookfin tackle is just about the best tackle I have ever seen. Explode into him, and wrap up. That's what I want to see out of this defense.

The defense continues to prove itself against the run. I know MSU had a bunch of backup's in at O-line, but they have two very good running backs, and LSU just completely shut them down.

Overall a very good performance, was a little closer than the score may indicate, what with the int's and the punt fumble, but still it was exactly what I wanted to see out of this team. Look for them to be 24th or so in the poll's.

2. tigerman7024

tigerman7024 Founding Member

I think Saban getting the younger players in the game is huge...almost as huge as Spears (6'3'' 280lbs) I would hate to see him after he bulks up!! He is going to be a monster!

I don't think the game was close at all, and it was because of the turnovers, and LSU Offense capitalizing on those turnovers! We went into the half with a 14-0 lead, and came out at the start of the third with a turnover (fumbled punt by MSU) and we capitalized and took it in for 7 and never looked back. The way our defense was playing creating turnovers and hitting so hard that I almost felt sorry for the MSU players, the game (in my opinion) was never really close at all.

3. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

I think Spears is actually 6'5.

You're right, the game wasn't close, but LSU didn't completely dominate them. LSU didn't play so well as to win by 6 touchdowns, they played well enough to win by 4 probably. MSU played poorly enough to give them the other two.

4. tigerman7024

5. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

YOU SHOULD SEE HIM UPCLOSE IN PERSON. HE SCARES ME WHEN I WALK BY HIM.

6. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I remember when I was at LSU and seeing Shaq bend over to walk through doors. Or at The Tiger. The bar was packed shoulder to shoulder but you could see him all the way across the room because he stood 2 feet over the crowd.

7. tigerman7024

Shaq was most impressive. I used to work at the Rec Center, and after basketball season of course, he would come in and play the occasional pick up game.

It was my job to tell him "NO DUNKING SHAQ, OR YOU WILL HAVE TO LEAVE!!" Yeah right, that went over real well. He was huge!