Spurrier gives Brock Berlin unconditional release

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ellis Hugh, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

SOS will allow him to go to ANY other school, including SEC.

I have to give old Visor Boy some credit. Few coaches would do that.

2. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

yeah you have to give spurrier credit on this one. Brocks a good player and deserves a chance to prove himself on the field. Brock needs to go some team that is going to have a senior quaterback next year. He also needs to take his redshirt year. I think spurrier is doing the right thing on this one.

3. Randy 70

Randy 70 Guest

Coach Jimbo Fisher and LSU's offense would be a perfect fit for Brock. I hope he considers us.

4. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

I doubt he will come to BR. Evangel products dis LSU, especially after Abram and Josh's rocky exits. I don't even really consider it a LA school. Let all those kids go to Big 12 schools. Who needs 'em

5. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

i'll tell you who needs him, us. Brock is a great quaterback and has been playing since he graduated unlike josh did. If josh would have came right out of high school i think he would have lived up to expectations. as far as abram goes, you really can't blame the guy. I mean he quit because of all the fighting between the coaches. I wouldn't want to play under a regime like that either. the downside to brock coming here is that he would have to sit out next season, meaning that in 2003 he would have to beat out the starter from the year before. Thats why i don't think he will come here. I do agree he would be a great fit. personally i think it is between us and texas tech and maybe texas. I sure hope he does come here though.

6. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

He's going to the longhorns, i doubt we are even in it. He doesn't want to risk getting beat out for his job again. Here he would have to battle guys who have been in the system for 2 years already. At Texas, he'll be the over-hyped qb to follow up the other over-hyped qb. A match in over-hyped, paper champion heaven.
    Pardon me if I hate Evangel, its alums, and everything it stands for.

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I still think Spurrier is evil but the timing of this announcement is genius with the point of the recruiting season that we're in right now. He may lose a backup QB but gain a couple of future starters that are "leans" to other schools right now. He said he would let Brock transfer to any SEC school or other in the nation but do you think he would let him go to FSU? He probably knows Brock well enough to know that won't happen. He also wouldn't want him to come to LSU with us being their (now) only SEC West permanent opponent.

With what I saw from Randall in the spring, Mauck last week, and heard from Clausen's father that Rick has all of the football talent in the family, I don't want Berlin. We don't need another soap opera. You can take the kid out of Evangel, but (in most cases) you can't take Evangel out of the kid, although I don't know Brock personally.

8. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

i don't think that he is going to texas. i think he will go to texas tech. I agree with ur last statement about evangel ellis. although brock seems to be from a little different breed then the rest of the evangel group. tigerstagg i reall hate evangel too. when i was in high school they beat us in the playoffs 2 years in a row. I also don't think that brock is over hyped. the only one that was, was josh booty. I don't really think he was either, but because of his long lay off he didn't live up to expectations. as far as abram goes, he was one of our leading receivers his freshmane year. I would think that would constitute has living up to the hype. he left for good reasons, can't really blame the guy.I do hate evangel though. As far as spurrier goes, this is genieus on his part.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

spurrier is not evil, he's actually a good guy, he's a player's coach.
    spurrier said brock can go to any school he wants, that includes fsu, miami, SEC, anybody.

he's always had this stance, and he's just about the only coach that allows it. he thinks it's not fair to make a player sit out 2 years. if he wants to go to another school, if he thinks he has a better chance elsewhere, that's his right.

he let QB tim olmstead go to vandy, who's in the same division as UF. obviously he told the coaching staff all of UF's plays and signals, and the next year, UF only beat vandy 13-6.

so it may not be smart to let your players transfer to a team you play, but it's sure nice of him.

At UF, we'd hate to lose brock. we think since he has to sit out a year anyway, why not redshirt, and play his final 2 years, because grossman will probably go pro after next year.

if he went to LSU, I think brock would have a great chance of beating UF. he's like a danny wuerfel type kid.

10. Ed~

Ed~ Founding Member

I have to go along with the sentiment here that we don't need or want Evangel players. We already had a blue chip cancer and his blue speck brother. They ran Berlin off when he was being recruited by us, so why would he change his mind now? I'm confident that the QB's we have now will be just fine.

Ed