snort's taking requests.....

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by snorton938, May 4, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

o.k. i've been posting recipes for foods that i think are appealing and interesting. my criteria for posting a recipe is simple: 1) it has to be something i'd want to cook, 2) it has to be do-able (reasonable ingredient and cooking step count) and finally 3) it has to have quality ingredients that provide flavor. what food group, country, state, etc. would you like to see recipes for. in case you haven't noticed, researching this stuff is my hobby (i gave up collecting baseball cards when they went on strike). so let's hear them. and you can make them as unusual as you like and i'll try to find something good. the more the merrier (did i spell that right?).

2. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

I want a damn good chili recipe made with ground beef and without any beans. I want it to also have a good rich dark color.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You could always post more haggis recipes

:cry: :angry: :mad: :cry: :shock: :(

4. snorton938

NO !

5. snorton938

check out the recipe forum. i found a few. will look for more. you gotta have good chili....... :D

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i really like pork loin. i like to sear em on cast iron then finish em in the oven. what kinda marinades you got for me snort?

7. snorton938

here are a couple of good ones: one for a marinade and one for a rub.....same guy did both....

Southwest Marinade and Dry Rub

Southwest Marinade Ingredients
    1/4 cup pineapple juice
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/8 cup lime juice
    1/8 cup soy sauce
    1/8 cup liquid smoke

Dry Rub Ingredients

1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon cumin
    1/8 teaspoon chili powder
    1/8 teaspoon sugar

*snort's note: you may want to "beef" up the quantities on the dry rub.
    maybe like a 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp range (his qty's don't make alot of rub).

For a smokey, sassy, hot, and sweet taste sensation, marinate meat in this concoction for about an hour. Then rub meat in the dry rub mixture. Grill or broil.

i like the citrus in his marinade and personally i'd rub in some salt and pepper first before putting it in the marinade (it will help make it even more tender).....also might add a little worsterchire (sp?) sauce too (he has soy but i'd like to see a little more base to help balance the acid in the citrus).
    the dry rub has all the classic ingredients (less salt and pepper but that's taken care of if you pat it down with them berfore the marinade). combining the marinade and rub is a good idea and you should have alot of tasty pork.
    you might also want t marinate the meat overnite. and if you want a little "zing" add in some dijon mustard to that marinade. hope this helps.

8. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

try Paul Newman's Balsamic Dressing cut with a bit of chicken stock add some Garlic Power and Fresh Rosemary to the liquid.

Marinate the Pork or Chicken in the liquid in a large Ziplock for 2-24 hours....

Grill the meat as you normally would...... absolutly solid....

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I need to drop 20 pounds. How about some low calorie recipies that will stick to your ribs. Cottage cheese and celery don't cut it.

10. snorton938

take a look at the sample below red55.....if it looks good here's a bunch more at this web site. they have a ton more than i can list, plus you can pick out what you like and see the calorie count, fat grams, etc. (alot of tasty dishes that don't make you feel like you're a rabbit).

http://whatscookingamerica.net/RecipeIndexDiet.htm

Pork Chops Supreme

This is a favorite comfort food pork chop recipe that my family loves. The recipe originally came from the Betty Crocker Cookbook from the 1960s.

4 pork loin or rib chops, about 3/4-inch thick
    Salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
    4 thin onion slices, about 1/4-inch thick
    4 thin lemon slices, about 1/4-inch thick
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup ketchup*

* Chili sauce or your favorite barbecue sauce may be substituted.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with salt and pepper. Place pork chops in ungreased shallow baking pan. Top each pork chop with a onion slice, a lemon slice, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1 tablespoons ketchup.

Cover and cook for approximately 20 minutes. Uncover and cook spooning sauce over the chops occasionally, an additional 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches a temperature of 155°F on a meat thermometer. Remove from oven and serve.

Makes 4 servings.

Pork Chops Supreme - Nutritional Information
    I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the below information. All information is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new fitness regimen.

Item Amount Fat Grams Calories WW Points (for the total amount made)

pork chops 4 (6-oz) each 12.2 346 8.4
    onion 4 (1/4") slices 0 60 1.4
    lemon 4 (1/4") slices 0 30 1
    brown sugar 1/4 cup 0 132 3.1
    ketchup 1/4 cup 0 60 1.7
    Recipe Totals 12.2 628 15.6

Recipe makes 4 servings. (628 calorie/ 4 servings = 157 calories/serving)

Each Serving Totals - 3 Fat Grams, 157 calories, 3.9 WW Points