Should LSU pay Saban more?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CreoleGumbo, Dec 10, 2001.

1. CreoleGumbo

CreoleGumbo Founding Member

Ya'll help me understand this:

A friend of mine went absolutely crazy after the game when I said, "I hope LSU gives Saban a little something extra to keep him happy." My buddy said that Saban gets too much already and that I had no business sense at all.
    Do ya'll aggree?
    If Saban is a marked man for NFL teams and college teams, then what is the big deal if we give him a little extra? We can afford it can't we?
    Discuss.

GeauxTigers

Beat Illinois......TheIllini or whatever those yankee, brautwurst eatin, fools call themselves.

2. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

Joe Dean said on the Dean/Hultberg show that he would get bumped up to like 1.6

3. CreoleGumbo

My deal is this; its this same mentality of these fans who go crazy, b/c they think Saban is paid too much already, that thinking has kept LSU where it has been the last ten years!

We finally get a guy who can take us to National Championship and people don't want to reward him. I was the only person at this party who was for givin Saban a "thank you" raise. I couldn't believe it!!! We just won the SEC Championship and these people were calling me ignorant!

Maybe its just me, but that "way of thinking" is why the state of Louisiana is the way it is. Behind.

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I'm sure you guys realize this because it's been going around the media outlets, but he does get a substantial bonus this year like he did last year for the Peach Bowl. It'll be a little bit more of course and he may opt not to split ALL of it with assistant coaches like last year. When he is paid as he is, it'll be the other things that will keep him happy, like a good relationship with Skip and the other "higher-ups" at LSU. It's amazing how in only two years Saban has experienced the highest of fan praise and the absolute lowest (UAB and Ole Miss). He shouldn't have been criticized as much as he was, but maybe Jimbo and others should get a little credit for this run too.

5. CreoleGumbo

last year Saban divided his bonus among his assistant coaches.

6. tigerman7024

tigerman7024 Founding Member

I think giving Saban a raise makes excellent business sense. We hired the guy to come in and build a program into a winner. He has done that, by recruiting well, coaching well, adapting players abilities to fill position needs ala Kyle Kipps, and of course JUST WINNING!!

Now sense he has fullfilled his goals of winning, and LSU is certainly making money off of his winning ways, why would you not reward him? This gesture, which we all know LSU can afford would show Saban our commitment to him, the program, the direction he is taking it, and express a great deal of loyalty towards him and his family.

Winning programs generate large amounts of money for the University, and to give a little more money to Saban for winning our first SEC Championship since 1988 and our first ever trip to the Championship Game, and a win over 2nd ranked Tennessee who was playing for the national championship, and finally a trip to the Sugar Bowl. Well, I think anyone who doesn't want to give him a raise is crazy. He has certainly earned it.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Saban was brought here to win games (and occasional championships) and to graduate players. LSU gave him a huge jump in payraise from his days at MSU to accomplish these things here at LSU. He's done a great job here, no doubt, but I don't think it's time to open up the checkbook again - yet. It's only year #2 of his tenure and he is already among the highest paid coaches in the country. He's getting paid a lot right now to do exactly what he's doing - not to be a mediocre program. Guys like Phil Fulmer and Steve Spurrier have won a National Championship. If/when Saban is able to accomplish that, I say let's give him a nice raise. But until then, I really think he's paid handsomely for his services. Let's not forget all the bonus money he gets for winning the SEC, going to a BCS bowl, etc.

Anyway, how much money can one person need? I'm not trying to be an ass here, but what difference will your lifestyle be making $1.6 or 2 million/year as opposed to $1.2 million? I understand that the competition for winning coaches is fierce, but it's really gotten out of hand the last few years. With that said, I really like Nick Saban and I hope he stays in Tiger Town for a long time.

8. tigerman7024

tigerman7024 Founding Member

I am not trying to be an ass either, but what difference will a $400,000 raise mean to LSU's bottom line? I think that is the number Emerett and Bertman are kicking around. Besides competitive football is big business and you have got to pay to play so to speak. Spurrier and Phat Phil both were earning big bucks before they won the National Championship. Giving a raise to Saban shows our commitment and provides stability to the program, which is what we need to build a National Championship. 1958 was a LONG time ago, and our reputation of late as a National Contender is lacking to say the least. I think Saban's performance this year restored a little of that storied tradition known as Tiger Football, and he should certainly be rewarded. Besides it is not like LSU football is hurting for money, and it would mean more to Saban as a gesture of commitment and loyalty then affording him the ability to buy a bigger house. Like you said there is not much he can't do on his current salary, but none the less money speaks loudly as far as keeping him here, which is certainly in the best interest of the team.

9. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

From Dandy Don:

I have had many Tiger fans ask me whether Coach Saban will be given a bonus for winning the SEC Championship and a bonus for playing in a New Year's Day Bowl. I think when Coach Saban signed his contract at LSU there was a clause that provided for a bonus if he met certain goals. I believe Coach Saban will be receiving an $80,000 bonus for winning the SEC Championship and a large bonus for playing in a New Year's Day bowl. I hope LSU Athletic Director Skip Bertman will recommend to the LSU board of Supervisors that Coach Saban be rewarded with a nice bonus in addition to the two I mentioned for the great job turned in by him and his staff. I think LSU needs to do whatever it takes to keep Coach Saban happy. I also believe all the assistant coaches should receive some type of bonus.

10. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

i think we should do whatever we have to do to keep saban. If he is doing a good job then give hima raise. In most other jobs if u do outstanding work you get a raise. Why should saban's job be any different?