Season changing loss

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsutigerincincy, Jan 6, 2009.

1. lsutigerincincy

lsutigerincincy Freshman

I was wondering what the TF thought about our loss to Alabama.
    After it, we had two other defeats (sandwiched around a face-saving comeback vs. Troy). What would have happened if we had won (and should have) that game?

2. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Ancient history. We stomped a hole in GT, have a top ranked recruiting class coming, and just hired a great staff. Bama got their asses handed to them by a MWC team and Ohio State's bowl losses continue. The future looks bright. Eyes forward my friend...eyes forward.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

we werent a good team this year. I never felt we would even pull that game out. we were lucky to beat troy. well they beat themselves mostly.

if we would have won? then we would have lost to troy. both from gumpland. lose/lose situation.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

That's a great question.

In much the same way LSU's defeat of Bama last year seemingly ruined their season, the Bama win over LSU this season appeared to do the same thing.

And I think it was the case both times of a team that was fragile and very vulnerable and the the landslide starting with that loss at that particular point in the season.

Funny, both teams were 6-2. Bama lost it's last 4 games, LSU should have lost it's last 4 games.

Could LSU have gotten a lot more motivation to end their season on a win streak and pushing Bama to the limit to hold on to the West division lead? Maybe.

My guess is the Bama win would not have cured anything unfortunately.

5. Andouille

Andouille Guest

This team is loaded with talent.

Unfortunately we has a very talented but selfish and immature QB that let his team down and a failed experiment at DC.

We now have our starting QB and a proven, veteran defensive coordinator and DB coach that will make the most of this talent. We also have another top recruiting class coming in.

LSU's immediate and long-term future is very bright.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

a bama win wouldve changed everything. wouldve been playing for SECW. the troy and arky games wouldve been won and the OM game wouldve been tight.

then wouldve gone to cotton against TT and seen the scoreboard rollover

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm not sure I would call Jarrett Lee selfish, but he was definitely a big problem from the middle of the season on.

I think the Bama game was a turning point that caused us to lose to Ole Miss and Arkansas (and almost to Troy.) Had we won that game, I have to think we wouldn't have struggled mightily against Troy or lost to Arkansas. As for Ole Miss, that's hard to say. They were playing really well then.

I agree with tirk, though, that we were not a good team this season. The bowl game finally showed what we were capable of, but we didn't show it at all.

8. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Beating Bama may have changed things and we may have won a few more games. However, in terms of next year and the future of the program, if the losses forced Miles to reevaluate and make upgrades to the coaching staff we may be better served the way things turned out. No one will care next year whether we went 7 and 5 or 9 and 3 in the regular season this year. What they will care about is if we win next year and in the future.

9. Bama My Heart

Bama My Heart Founding Member

If ya'll had used the qb against us that you used in the bowl game, you would have beaten us. That kid is really good, and has a great future with LSU. I hope we can get a good qb this next year.

10. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

Good post.