~Robert Griffin - DualThreat QB~

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Lprimo, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Lprimo

Lprimo Pimpin Aint Easy

2. Potted Plant

Potted Plant Founding Member

His throwing looks pretty good. He hits the open man quickly, but you aren't often going to see receivers that wide open in college as you see in that video. I'd want to know how his camps go and how he throws when his receivers only have half a step instead of 10 yards. And honestly, with what I read about him being a track star and being recruited as an "athlete", I was a little underwhelmed by his running. He didn't seem like he really dominated with his feet in either video of him. He looks solid, but I'm not sold on him as an LSU-level recruit.

3. True Grit

True Grit Founding Member

Right now only schools like Purdue, Houston, and TCU are recruiting him. But maybe he is a hidden gem. If he has a good senior season and good camps maybe bigger schools will start recruiting him though.

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Tennessee and LSU have both made offers. I am sure others will follow.

5. True Grit

True Grit Founding Member

Any chance we are recruiting him as a WR? 6"3 and 4.4 speed.

6. Potted Plant

It's doubtful we're recruiting him as a WR. We get a ton of terrific wide receiver prospects in Louisiana and in our recruiting area who are dedicated wide receivers, not just good athletes trying to find a position. If we're really going after him, it's likely as a QB. Still, I'll reiterate. His videos looked OK, but weren't what I expected. I expected to see a burner running the ball, and I just didn't. I thought his throwing was good though, but I didn't see quite enough really hard throws to be confident that he's an LSU-level QB. I saw him hit a lot of guys who were wide open. He did it confidently and well, but you have to be able to do more than hit wide open receivers to make it in the SEC. If he's getting a real offer, it will be on the strength of what he shows in camps, interviews, etc., not on those videos.

7. Lprimo

Lprimo Pimpin Aint Easy

i think people have a Stereo typical idea, that "Dual Threat" means 4.2 40 Mike Vick type moves. Our own Matt Flynn is a Dual Threat QB, so was Matt Mauck...both ran around the 4.6 to 4.5 40 times. This guy has moves, and is faster that both Matt's. In his video's he shown pocket passing, which is what LSU likes doing. And as far as hard throwers, Matt Flynn is not a hard thrower. Compared to Russell and even Ryan, not many QB's have power to throw 50 yards on there back foot. Ryan can throw very hard, and yet he looks average next to Russell.

8. Potted Plant

By "hard throws" I don't mean throwing the ball hard. I mean making difficult throws: hitting a receiver in stride with a defensive back right on him, threading the ball to a receiver through traffic, delivering a strike while being hit, etc. His videos show him hitting a lot of receivers who are essentially uncovered. He did it well, and seems to have a quick release, but I'd really like to see film of him making some tougher throws. This is an unknown aspect of his game, and it's why I say any offer he gets will be because of his performance in camps.

As for his running, you have to keep in mind this is a kid who has a scholarship offer in TRACK. He just didn't look that fast to me on the football field. And while I don't expect him to be Michael Vick, I would expect a guy like that to dominate high school defenses the way Vick often dominates NFL defenses with his feet.

You have to keep in mind, the competition level is going to jump WAY up once these guys step onto the college field. Many of the guys who were starting defensive players on teams they played in high school won't be good enough to walk-on to the teams they'll play in college. If they aren't dominating this level of competition with their feet, they won't come close to dominating it at the next level.

I'm not trying to down the kid, I'm just saying that I'm not seeing the things that others are seeing. If he's a great passer, his videos don't show it, and his videos to me definitely show that he is NOT a great runner, which is surprising given that he is being recruited by the track coach.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

It's looking like we may take a QB that we don't have rated that highly, just to fill the space & we'll make it up next year w/ Karam (and maybe another QB too).

I don't think that would be too bad. I am real high on Lee, and Karam is supposed to be really good (already has several offers as a sophmore) so it won't be a big deal.

10. Potted Plant

From the Droppings:

OK, which one of you guys misrepresented what I said? I'm guessing these "couple of places" where it was said that he can only hit a man that beat his defender by 10 yards is pretty much right here, allegedly said by me.

I didn't say that. What I said what that his videos only show him hitting wide open receivers. If he hit a lot of difficult throws, they didn't make it into the highlight reel, which are naturally very selective representations of a kid's abilities. There's a big difference between "the videos don't show him doing it" and "he can't do it", and it was one I was pretty careful to point out before.

Let's not start unnecessary and unsubstantiated rumors about this kid. He might be a Tiger soon.