Question about Meyer contacting recruits durind dead period

Discussion in 'College Recruiting' started by lsutigerfan1976, Jan 2, 2010.

1. lsutigerfan1976

lsutigerfan1976 Freshman

Someone on ESPN reported this week that Meyer had contacted Fla recruits during the dead period to inform them he will return as coach of Fla at some point in time. Is this not a violation since he contacted recruits during the dead period? Is he getting a pass for this cause he is Meyer and his health situation? Can he still continue to contact these recruits during said dead period, under the notion that he is just "informing" these recruits what his health status and job status is? I would think this gives Fla an edge during this period if this is true.

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

That's a good question. Bhelm or anyone else with some insight?

3. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

I also saw on the ESPN streamer that Meyer had told some recruit that he would be back in August. Never even thought about this being a dead period.. Maybe they contacted him? Does it matter??

4. lsutigerfan1976

lsutigerfan1976 Freshman

Recruits are allowed to contact the coaches, but ESPN had specifically stated that Urban contacted his recruits, it was not the other way around. So is his case an exception? Can he contact recruits throughout the dead period because of his health problems and because he may or may not be coming back? I think he is using this to his advantage and found a loophole in a way to contact the recruits because of his situation. He is taking full advantage of this also.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I am almost positive that 1 coach from each school gets one call to each prospect. Prospects can call the coaches whenever they want as well.

Oh and it is one call each week during the dead period.