Politics, freedom of speech and cronyism....

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Biggles, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It all depends on your perspective. I think it was the right decision. The Hollywood big mouth, no brain liberals want to bash the president and the administration, yet they still want access to the glitterati and perks that go along with being a celebrity. Screw them. Let them go to Democrat functions.

3. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

The celebration of the movie is one thing...

and if the actors made it political fiasco then the actors would be wrong. But we'll never know....
    but the HOF looks pathetic......

4. Latide97

Latide97 Founding Member

Since Bull-Durham was about baseball which is supposed to be the all-American sport it only seems right to boot those anti-American crap heads from the celebration.They obviously do not like anything American, except for freedom of speech and the freedom of putting down the very country that gave them that right. Its kind of like the French, they put down the Americans and what they stand for, then they want to reap the benefits that we have provided.

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I liked Bull Durham but...

I'm not a big fan of Tim Robbins or Susan Sarandon and haven't heard any of their specific criticism but it seems like they've probably received more backlash than warranted. In response to LaTide, just because a person voices their opinion regarding a situation doesn't imply that they're anti-American (as it seems the Bush administration believes). For instance, when the war began, I agreed with Bush that immediate action was necessary and it was up to the U.S. to initiate the conflict. However, I disagree with the "tone of voice" that the Bush administration has been speaking to the rest of the world during the last few months. Also, I feel that certain individuals in the administration should be replaced.

I also hate the French but they probably handled the situation as they felt appropriate. Chirac recognized that diplomacy isn't our best virtue and could foresee possible conflicts with other middle-eastern countries. I just kind of feel like we're the father that whips his kids but doesn't give them any love after. We have to be respected but admired also.

On another note, does anyone still watch South Park? The episode last week about the war was pretty good. The kids were supposed to do a project on what our forefathers would do today. Ben Franklin said our country shouldn't appear to be war-hungry but should have enough respect from other countries that we'll fight for freedom if needed. Therefore, we (basically) kick everyone's ass but protest at the same time to appear empathetic. Each side needs each other. If we all protested war, we'd all be speaking German or Japanese today. If we were all for war, the world would hate us (even more I guess). Anyway, it was silly but entertaining.

6. SabanFan

I know the comments were directed to LATide but our sentiments were aligned. I don't begrudge the Hollywood elite their right to protest. I do take exception to the bashing, e.g., "Bush is stupid", Bush is a Moron", "I'm ashamed to be from the same state as Bush", ad nauseum. My point was, they can do it iof they want to but then don't expect the "bashees" to turn the other cheek and act like everything is warm and fuzzy. The outspoken "stars" better align their asses with the Dems because in the Republican camp, they are all doggy poop.

7. JD

JD Founding Member

Compared to the right wing in this country that hates freedom - absolutely loathes it, I'll take the actors. I'd prefer neither, but at least the actors, in contrast to the republican bigmouths (trash like Hyde, delay, gunkrich, limbo, hannity), don't believe government should tell me how to live my life, and then exempt themselves from the rules.

8. Latide97

Latide97 Founding Member

It's absolutely the opposite. For example Tim Robbins is appalled that he would be uninvited from this thing, but in our country you are free to say what you feel and poeple are free to react to it the way they feel. If you make a decision to say something thats fine, but you have to be willing to take the heat. Just like John Rocker and Trent Lott, they said what they felt and they were grilled for it. If you say things that may offend or be unpopular then you have to live with the consequences. In other words these liberal actors have a right to be A-holes and I have a right to call them A-holes.

9. SabanFan

The right does not hate freedom. We just don't take advantage of it the way the left does. As LATide says, the freedom to disagree and impose consequences is a right as well. I think the basic difference is that those of us on the right have a greater appreciation of what it took to ensure all of our freedoms. The left just takes it for granted and abuses their freedoms for their own selfish needs and wants.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Does anybody have any idea why so many of those in the entertainment industry are so opposed to the system that lets them make millions of dollars and live in a fantasy world? Oh yeah, they live in a fantasy world. These people must pay an enormous amount of taxes. Wouldn't you think they would be more likely to gravitate toward a system that would reduce their tax burden rather than increasing it? How much does a talented entertainer in China, Cuba, Iraq, North Korea or any third world country make? I love this story about Charles Barkley (multimillionare former NBA superstar who has talked about running for governer of Alabama as a Republican) Barkleys mother asked him how he could be friends with "those Republicans who only help the rich" Barkley told her " Mom, I'm rich"