Pellet Guns

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by KyleK, Oct 28, 2009.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I'm researching pellet guns so that I can help control the squirrel population in my neighborhood. Little bastids ate every pear off of the pear tree (we usually get about 10-15 5 gal bucket fulls. Not one this year. In addition, my neighborhood is loaded w/ mature pecan trees. They've just about cleaned em out. Me and a couple neighbors want to do some back porch hunts/assassinations of these damned tree rats.

I've done the cheap Crossman route a couple of times in my life. I'm looking to spend a few bucks and get a good on. Looking for at least 1000 fps w/ consistent accuracy. Any recommendations on good ones, or ones to stay away from. Budget is up to $250.00.

2. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Why not consider a .22 caliber short round?

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPtvGCeE7zI&feature=related[/MEDIA]

That'll send a message to the little bastards.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

get a Daisy .177 cal

gun is cheap, pellets are cheap

don't kill 'em, just pisses 'em off.
    which means you can do it again tomorrow. and the next day. etc. etc.

get the kids involved. good family fun that'll last all season!

5. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

When I was younger, I had a pump action Daisy 50th (or something) anniversary pellet gun. I could hit dragonflies from a decent distance, it was so accurate. My friend had a scoped (lol) pellet gun that was always WAY off.

I loved that thing. Wouldn't mind having a brand new version of that same one today.

I think they're relatively inexpensive, too.

6. KyleK

I have done that before, but I'll be shooting most of these at an upward angle. I don't want to take a chance of (I know it's an itty bitty bullet) of the bullet coming down and hitting someone. Besides, I have an excuse to buy an new gun!

7. KyleK

:hihi:

I could set up a shooting stand right next to my beer fridge. Sounds like good times!

8. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

My brother got chickens and coons were killing his chickens by reaching in through the chicken wire and tearing their legs off and shiit. My bro is blind in one eye and couldn't shoot the broad side of a barn, so he bought a pellet gun and iced down some beer and invited me over a couple of weeks ago.

At my house we're cool with the coons. They chill on my porch and I'll feed them sometimes and they just kinda hang out. The kids like them and I don't have a problem with coons. I brought my boy (4 yrs) to my brothers and put on a clinic. I was popping pellets in coons left and right. They were falling out of the trees like leaves. There were tons of them in the trees at about 9pm licking their chops trying to get my brother's chickens.

The boy got a kick out of it. I had to explain to him why they are pets at my house and why we shoot them at my brother's house. I don't know that he fully understands but he always mentions how he wants to go "huntin" at my brother's house.

9. KyleK

Great story! Got a chuckle out of that one. That's basically what I'm planning on doing w/ these damm squirrels. I bet I could shoot a hundred of em in a week around here.

Just had a flashback of going w/ a buddy to set up duck blinds. When we were done, we went to one of his buddy's camp and had gumbo. My bowl had a squirrel head in it. Them coona$$es don't waste anything!

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

With a pellet gun? Those must be some wimpy coons, or they were exposing themselves and you took that to be the target....

I had to blast the ones out of the trees on our place.