O'Leary OUT as Notre Dame head coach!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ellis Hugh, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

buh-bye

==============================
    Irish shocker: O'Leary out at Notre Dame

December 14, 2001

Bob Hille and Tom Dienhart
    The Sporting News

Notre Dame this morning confirmed a Sporting News Radio report that George O'Leary is out as football coach.

O'Leary, hired last Sunday to head one of college football's most storied programs, resigned a day after making news for reported inaccuracies in his personal biography that has appeared in the football media guide at Georgia Tech, where O'Leary had been the head coach for eight seasons.

"I have accepted the resignation of George O'Leary as head football coach at the University of Notre Dame," Irish athletic director Kevin White said in a statement. "George has acknowledged inaccuracies in his biographical materials, including his academic background. I understand that these inaccuracies represent a very human failing; nonetheless, they constitute a breach of trust that makes it impossible for us to go forward with our relationship."

White said the search for a new coach would start immediately.

O'Leary apparently left the South Bend, Ind., campus Thursday night.

His biography states that he earned three letters while playing football at the University of New Hampshire, but O'Leary attended New Hampshire only two years, 1967 and 1968, and never played in a game.

Notre Dame included the erroneous information in the news release announcing O'Leary's hiring. John Heisler, Notre Dame's associate athletics director, said Thursday that O'Leary told him he was unaware of the error, which dates to the 1987 Georgia Tech media guide.

But a document obtained by The Union Leader of Manchester, N.H., indicates O'Leary listed the information when hired as an assistant coach at Syracuse in 1980.

According to the school's sports information department, coaches and athletes personally filled out the biographical forms. The newspaper reported Friday that O'Leary's documents lists "Univ. of New Hampshire _ 3 yr. lettered" as part of his athletic background.

"Due to a selfish and thoughtless act many years ago, I have personally embarrassed Notre Dame, its alumni and fans," O'Leary said in a statement. "The integrity and credibility of Notre Dame is impeccable and with that in mind, I will resign my position as head football coach effective December 13, 2000."

So the Irish's search for a replacement for Bob Davie will continue. Others rumored for the job before O'Leary was tabbed were Stanford coach Tyrone Willingham and Jacksonville Jaguars coach Tom Coughlin. Earlier in the search process, Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden, San Francisco 49ers coach Steve Mariucci and Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops withdrew from consideration.

Davie went 35-25 in five years as Irish coach, posting a losing record in two of the previous three years and failing to win a bowl during his tenure. The Irish haven't finished in the top 10 since 1993 and haven't won a national championship since 1988.

2. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

I can't believe this! Notre Dame needs to do some major damage control. They have already lost most of the recruits after they fired Davie now this. Their recruiting season is a bust. They need to just wait and try to get Gruden.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

NOTRE DAME Position in Polls

Well, I guess this will probably knock ND down to at least 6th or 7th in the 2002 poll. Man, their AD committed the unpardonable sin by just accepting what he was told without a careful search for the truth. But truly, as good an academic university as they are, I'm not too sure how much the athletic department wanted to know the truth. This whole exercise is justifiable retribution, but probably should extend to White also. Geaux Tigers!!!!!!!

4. chemo23

chemo23 Freshman

notre dame

have anyone heard the report that sportscenter just did that Notre dame had John Gruden and Nick Saban on top of their new list?

5. Ed~

Ed~ Founding Member

I watched it a little while ago and Coach Saban wasn't mentioned.

I wonder if O'Leary was ever considered for the Honesty and Integrity award...

Guess his coaching days are over. He was a good coach but what a bum.

"Due to a selfish and thoughtless act many years ago, I have personally embarrassed Notre Dame, its alumni and fans," O'Leary said in a statement.

Selfish act many years ago??? Didn't he just apply to ND? What about those other possible coaches that were considered for the Tech job years ago. This bum lies, gets hired, and perpetuates the lies. Simply amazing. Gawd I hope this POS is done coaching.

I should have known something was wrong with this guy the way Corso drones on and on about how great he is.

Ed