Olde Tyme Grocery

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by stevescookin, Jun 22, 2009.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I had to travel to Lafayette today to bring my daughter to a doctor's appointment there and was able to eat at the Olde Tyme Grocery on St. Mary street. I'm glad I listened to all your good comments about the place.

It's a nice atmosphere...kinda reminds me of the Parkway bakery in NO. It also reminded me of my place too. The surrounding neighborhood reminds me of Abita with the nice old houses around there. I wish there was a college in Abita.

I had a half roast beef po boy and it was under $5. Great value, they could charge a dollar more and it would definitely still be worth it. The steak fries were a nice touch too. It really was as advertised ... "New Orleans style po boys". The only thing that would have made my sandwich better was more gravy and a toasted/grilled bread. But given how busy they were, that would have really slowed things down a lot...besides remember the saying "if it ain't broke..." It just ain't broke. We also had ham and cheese as well as fried shrimp... all great. They use lots of great ingredients there. The po boys were very well stuffed and very filling. Seemed like a good crew working there too.

The main thing I liked about the place was that people from all walks and ages of life were enjoying each others company over good food. And it's so much better being in that kind of small town, neighborhood atmosphere. That's what we provide at the Abita Springs Cafe also ... a sense of community.

2. LSU Rubi

LSU Rubi Founding Member

When I went to ULL I lived right across the street from Old Tyme. Would eat there as often as I could.

The Oyster Poboy is to die for.

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

damn I miss that place soo much.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Ah, Olde Time Grocery.

Single-handedly responsible for expanding my waist size from a 29 to a 32 during my 4 years at USL.

5. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Best po-boy in the state.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Meatball
    Shrimp
    Roast Beef
    Sausage (damn, that is a great one)
    Turkey

I had most of them and they all have to be on the order of 1200+ calories for a whole.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

You looked buff to me. :D

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Easy there! I'll accept this if you say it after eating a Darrell's Special in Lake Charles. It's pretty strong.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

careful issy, she's hittin on you! :hihi:

10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

My personal favorite ! Only on a Friday and only if I don't have to work very hard that afternoon. Second only to Olde Tyme in my book is Villager's Cafe in Maurice. Same type of atmosphere and very generous portions, well worth the drive.