Official 2008 Recruiting Class Discussion

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by CParso, Feb 6, 2008.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Alright guys, now that this class is wrapped up - let's have some discussion on it.

Overall, I say it's a very solid class with several players who are very underrated. It lacks star power except Patrick Johnson & Benton, but some of these guys are going to develop into stars.

I would've liked to see us gotten more out of Texas (only 2 true Texans in this class - Theriot is from La). We had a great haul from Florida, but not quite as good as we had hoped for. We've made a lot of inroads there the past couple years and it has started to pay off. This year really helped our visibility there as well, as the recruits that didn't pick us still talked about us to their teammates. We also made sure to lock down the state, which goes along way for the future (think next year).

Along the lines, we did a great job of recruiting quality depth, and I expect all of these guys to redshirt because they all look a bit raw (combined with depth we have there). Liuget is not a big loss as we basically already had our needs met - he just would've been a bonus. Shaw is a nice get, but very raw & will really need to develop but he's got the ability to be very good.

DB recruiting was very good, although another top-flight CB would've been nice. We should be set for the future there with the past 2 years classes. I expect most of these guys to redshirt, except Patrick Johnson who I see getting a fair amount of playing time next year - if not becoming a starter.

WR recruiting was good, but not spectacular. Assuming Benton qualifies this time around, he's of huge importance as he'll be an immediate impact player. The other guys will all likely redshirt, but will contribute later. Losing Brown to Southern Miss stung a little bit, but he wasn't going to get into LSU anyway so it's not a big deal. The JUCO WR we lost to Florida St (can't think of his name) was tough, as he's very talented, but we should be set with a starting 3 anyway.

RB - 2 years with no true RB recruit. Jermaine Thomas was a special recruit, and we did everything we could to get him here but it wasn't quite enough to get him out of Florida with the depth we have there. RB was not a true need in this class. We have plenty of depth for '08, and '09's crop looks to be very good.

LB recruiting went alright, but I would've liked us to sign one more & thought we could've gotten a big name guy with losing 2 seniors there. This will be an area we must address next year.

QB - I'm very pleased with Jordan Jefferson as our only QB recruit. We'll need to pick up another one next year, but Jordan's got a ton of natural ability & if Crowton can mold him he'll make a great QB.

So,
    What do you think of the class as a whole?
    Who's your favorite recruit in this class?
    Who makes the quickest impact?
    Who's most underrated?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Any top-10 class is going to keep us in the hunt. We should be very pleased.

Shaw. For some reason, I think he's going to be a player.

It always seems like stud receivers get the earliest PT. They seem to pick up on the offense at that position quicker. Benton will be tried, I think.

Aghayere. Big guy with quickness. Could be a good one.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Overall, I think Miles did a great job a filling our needs minus one LB. However, he left room to be desired in next years class. He will be able to tell the top RBs that we have not signed a RB in 2 years and tell the top LBs that they will likely play from the get go. A top QB will be pleased we only signed one QB this year and the depth chart is not something he can not overcome to get early playing time.

Favorite recruit: Patrick Johnson and Chris Tolliver b/c when I met him in Disney World he has quality character and was not following the other recruits acting a fool.

Impact Players: Patrick Johnson possibly a starter after the 1st few games depending on the development of the current CBs, Ryan Baker will likely see some playing time as a backup, and Benton will be in the rotation next year.

Most Underrated: OL Thomas Parsons

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Pretty good. We missed some guys but we stole a couple. Importantly, we filled some needs. I wish we could have signed a big RB
    Ryan Baker. Great instincts and can get going in a hurry.
    Wild card: Benton. He has the size but more importantly you become more mature and learn things quicker coming from Hargrave.
    Lavar Edwards. While he shouldn't be a five star, I think he has the ability to replace that "rawness" with some serious skills pretty soon.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

6. bayou_bandit74

bayou_bandit74 Founding Member

Its a good, solid class. I think last years class was better but this is another sturdy class.

PJ is obviously the highlight considering our glaring need for CBs. We really could have used another named CB. LB is the other major need and I think Baker has great potential but again, we could have used more help here. For whatever reason LSU has never done well recruiting big time LBs.

Im also very, very high on Benton. I think he has star written all over him. He can be an immediate impact. Tolliver is also a big get, he will be the deep threat that Byrd has been after he leaves next year.

Jefferson has a lot of potential at QB so Im happy to have him to compete with Lee in the coming years. Hopefully next year LSU can bring in another QB or two.

1 person likes this.
  7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

My favorite recruit in this class would have to be Ryan Baker.

I think Patrick Johnson, Benton, and Ryan Baker all crack the 2-deep as true freshmen. Patrick Johnson has a great shot at becoming a starter, and Benton will likely be our 4th WR.

I'll say that Cordian Hagans is our most underrated recruit.

8. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

I think it is another great class. The one thing that confuses me is why some of these guys that we make offers to go to other schools. I really can't quite get a grip on that one!

Another SECC just around the corner!
    Geaux Tigers!!!!!!!!

9. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

The class looks like it give solid depth on both lines. We added some good WR's and CB's too.

But I am so glad that we are positioned to take advantage of the tremendous talent at RB coming out of LA next year. Yes, it has been two years without headlining RB's signed. I have faith that CLM can land Lacy and/or Ford. Of course I want Randle too!

10. philter

philter Founding Member

Especially considering the power of last year's class (which by and large redshirted) combined with the power available in state next year. This is the perfect class to go in between book-end elite classes.