Obama and Healthcare reform

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Feb 22, 2010.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

He's unveiling "his" plan today.

I think he'd be smart to just table this thing. Seems to me he's just going to further piss off the center. JOBS, Barack. JOBS!!

Let it go.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

seems a more reasonable compromise. no public option. interstate exchange. didnt hear anything about tort reform though. i think its a good political move at least by O to put the ball in the GOPs court

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Let's see, . . . no matter what he says, no matter what concessions he makes, you are against it.

Typical.

4. SabanFan

I think the American people have made it quite clear that Healthcare is not a big concern right now. He'd be better off concentrating on the economy and jobs than trying to spend another trillion dollars that we don't have. I know where he's coming from, though. If he waits until November, HC has NO chance.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I disagree, Health Care is a major concern.

Obama puts forward last-ditch health care plan - Yahoo! News

allow the government to deny or roll back egregious insurance premium increases that infuriate consumers.

how is that a bad thing? Republicans keep saying that America doesn't care about health care, and is totally against any reform, and maybe the people that elected them, aren't concerned but the rest of us are. The people out there who cannot afford health care, or people who have to lose their homes because they got sick, or the people who have to live with pain, because they cannot afford medicine, etc etc, all want reform. We aren't screaming for the public option, we just want affordable health care.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

This is the very worst kind of thing the government can do. It rips power from people and vests it in government.

It says "Consumers, you guys are too stupid to know when you are getting ripped off, so we are going to set prices."

It says to business "You guys are too stupid to know how to effectively manage your enterprise, so we are going to decide the rates you need to be charging based on the arbitrary notion of what we think is fair."

I am all for healthcare reform, but not in the form of massive government power grabs that destroy my freedom.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

you have no say in what the prices will be so whats the difference.

8. SabanFan

We want affordable milk, bread and gas too, but that's not the point. No one is against affordable healthcare but spending a trillion dollars that we don't have on a pipe dream is not the way to do it. Everything in it's time.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i think your "spending a trillion dollars" is disingenuine. are you really saying none of that trillion (over 10 yrs) will be spend without the bill?

i forgot to add that the proposal also removes the shady Nebraska Medicare break and the union premium policy tax exclusion, too.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is a concern and its getting more urgent as premiums keep doubling and people keep losing coverage. What we are suspicious of is one giant health care bill that will solve everything but only makes the nation more partisan. That is what needs to be rethought.

Take it apart, do the sensible stuff first (waste cutting, etc) and gain the profits from that. Then do the doable things (digitizing medical records) that save money and gain those profits. THEN figure out how to do the difficult things (insuring the poor).

Give the industry some of the things that they want (no public option) but not everything that they demand (highest prescription profits in the world). Give the democrats some of what they want (coverage for the uninsured) but not everything that they demand (single-payer coverage), Give the republicans some of what they want (tort reform) but not everything that they demand (do nothing and hope things get better).

Pay for it from BOTH ENDS. Cut expenses and raise taxes. Cutting taxes while borrowing the difference is just foolish and has to stop.

2 people like this.