NCAA accuses Tennessee of rules violations

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Krypto, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

UPDATED: NCAA accuses Tennessee of rules violations | Latest News | 2theadvocate.com — Baton Rouge, LA

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6150761"]Tennessee Volunteers coach Bruce Pearl cited by NCAA for unethical conduct - ESPN[/ame]

2. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

It's actually old news. He was already suspended 8 games by the SEC. Now the NCAA is going to see if they need more punishment.

Jay Bilas tweeted the twisted logic about Calhoun's case.

"Today, the NCAA announced that it will punish Calhoun next year for something that happened 3 years ago."

Yea, I can see you rolling your eyes through your computer screen.

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

ahh. my bad. shows how much i pay attention to college basketball.

4. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

It's news, in the sense that the NCAA is finally doing something, but we've already known Pearl is in deep ****. He's in a contract year, so there's no way he's getting one with UT until this is cleared up. Obviously, the NCAA works at a snail's pace.

The case with Indiana seemed quite similar, IIRC, but I can't be sure how bad Indiana was. They got a year without post season play, the scholarship reductions, and all the other stuff like restrictions on calls and visits. Crippling stuff, because the coach, Sampson, was gone and all but 1 scholarship player was gone. They had walkons fill the roster for a few years and are now getting actual scholarship players there 3 years later.

Using wiki for help, IU's problems were similar. They had impermissible contact with recruits as well as illegal gifts. Sampson lied and was caught and the NCAA gave IU stiff penalties. IU tried what UT did by reducing scholarships before the NCAA ruling, but the NCAA wasn't appeased by the minor offering.

If Tennessee gets the same, they would probably need a lot longer to regroup. Indiana will still get some recruits even in bad years. UT won't because they aren't a basketball school.

Football also has the non-compliance charges against them because of Kiffin in the report. Therefore this affects the entire athletic department, IIRC.