MLB Thread: 2006

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Jun 2, 2006.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I assume this thread has been started at some point but it buried beneath so many of these superb threads (cough cough).

2. islstl

Re: MLBen Thread: 2006

So does Roger Clemens save my otherwise pathetic Houston Astros team?

How the hell does a 19-9 start turn into a 8-19 record over the next 27?

Burke needs to start everyday in place of Lane. This Lane dude is done. Not worth the trouble. Swing is way too weird to be successful. I mean come on he throws left handed and bats right handed. Not cool.

3. islstl

Somebody please fix my thread title to MLB...not MLBen.

I dunno what happened there....

4. islstl

Other MLB notes:

1) Do the Tigers hold up?
    2) Does every team in the NL West stay above .500?
    3) Do the Mazzone-less Braves win yet another division title or do the Mets play up to expectations and win it? (talk to me Martin)
    4) Does Toronto shock everyone by winning the AL East over the Yanks and Red Sox?
    5) Can the Rangers make a deal for a legitimate starting pitcher to go along with Millwood to get over the hump?
    6) Are the White Sox even better overall than last year with the addition of Thome in the lineup?

Stay tuned.

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Lane was so good after the All Star break last year, that it's buying him a lot of time. I wonder sometimes if they kept him in the minors too long or something. I have no idea. Burke does seem to be an upgrade.

I don't know if Clemens will save the 'Stros this year, but I do think he'll help a good bit. In terms of the rotation, it will give the flexibility to move Nieve to relief. Wandy and Buchholz have been pleasant surprises thus far (tonight excluded.) Buchholz has the stuff to be an ace in the near future. If Backe can come back after the break (and pitch well, obviously), they'll be a far different team.

I've got to think that it's tough for an average offense to put up runs when they're down by a lot after three innings. Just my guess. Hopefully the bats will turn around.

Another anomaly is the poor pitching of Qualls, Wheeler and Lidge. I doubt that will continue. It just hurts more now, since those are the kinds of bad efforts you expect from guys like Gallo.

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

1 -- Maybe, but I doubt it.
    2 -- No way, too many decent teams in the East and Central
    3 -- I will not bet against the Braves.
    4 -- Of course not -- that's crazy talk.
    5 -- I definitely think they'll make a move. They haven't been bashful in the past, and now that they're playing professional-level baseball, there's no reason to think they won't make a move now.
    6 -- Umm....yea, probably so

And to add to your list of questions:

Does anybody other than Pedro deserve the Cy Young? Webb's been awesome but Pedro's having a career year for the hated Mets. Damn Pedro to hell...he's the only player to ever play for the Red Sox and Mets that I'm such a fan of.

7. clair

clair Rockets

1. yes... they are legit... they have been on the cusp of being good the last 2-3 years
    2. no. in 2-3 weeks, it's bye-bye giants and rockies
    3. yes! Point blank! The Mets are good, but they are only up 4.5, and everything has seemed to align itself perfect to this point.
    4. No. The Sox make a move to get some pieces and take it
    5. Dontrelle Willis goes to Zona, so I don't know who you looking for
    6. The Sox are better, but so is everyone else

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

no chance to beat the mets. the mets have been extraordinarily lucky to stay in first through the injuries at the back of the rotation, and have won lots of one run games and generally had good fortune.

but the mets rotation will solidify and going forward they will widen their lead. el duque isnt great but he isnt jose lima either. brian bannister will be back next month, and john maine is adequate of the the cuban import soler fails. i actually think soler will turn it around and be a solid #5. but even if he doesnt, the two kids bannister and maine are rehabbing and will be ready if needed.

pedro and glavine are both playing like hall of famers. beltran is getting calmed down. he is very sensitive and doesnt like to be the center of attention. now that delgado is here, and wright in on the cover of every magazine, beltran will relax and use his five tools like we expected. he is already only two short of his home run total for last year.

negatives: trachsel looks old. he is barely getting by. and the bullpen, while good (they won a 1-0 13 inning game this week) is being overused. these starting pitchers need to go deeper into games. reyes must get on base more.

i was excitedly talkin to tirk about how i was gonna get a rare chance to see barry bonds yesterday (friday) but it rained out. and it really sucked ass because flooding ****ed up the entire subway system and it took me two forevers to get the stadium only to go right back home. but the good news is that i will use my tickets for the doubleheader later today. i will be sitting in the field boxes right next to barry bonds. i cant wait.

9. islstl

martin, enjoy the Mets/Bonds game

I agree the Mets MUST take this division...it's theirs...they should not screw this up

Glavine pitching like he's 28 years old once again...nice to see....hall of fame no doubt...I think at some point a couple of years back when he had that horrid season that he was a borderline candidate...now he just needs to get to 300 which he should do barring injury next season. He needs to win about 20 this year however with the way he is pitching and this potentially great Mets offense (I say potential cuz they haven't really hit their stride yet).

I hope the Rangers land a stud pitcher, but as cgi said, who the hell is out there? Dontrelle would be a great fit as he would baffle american leaguers with that fonky delivery since most have rarely seen him up til now.

I say the White Sox are the team to beat. Better than last year. They have Buerhle, Contreras and Vasquez at the top of their rotation in a playoff series with Garcia as a solid 4th starter. Their only slight glitch is the bullpen, especially being able to go situational like Guillen was able to do last year. He doesn't have that luxury anymore as he lost 1 lefty to free agency and Politte is struggling as a righty. That is where they potentially can lose their playoff games.

10. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

We'll see... too much baseball left.

Sounds like the ESPN slurpfest crew who claimed the Muts WS Champs after Pedro won his 200th and beat the Braves 4-3. Muts are 5-4 so far vs the Braves and have been outscored 47-34 vs the Braves. Muts are not the only team who missed key players so far, just have to get through it. The Nats won a lot of one-run games at one time last year, then things balanced out in the end.

Stay tuned...

[​IMG]