News Miles on Colorado's radar?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeInLa, Nov 8, 2010.

1. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

Ran across this article this morning. I know something along these lines was posted here a while back...
    LSU's Miles on Colorado's radar?

Personally, I don't see him leaving here for Colorado anytime soon. Especially if things continue to pick up and go into a positive direction here.

2. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I think CU will probably try to hire Dave Logan as their HC. Logan is a legend in the state of Colorado. He is one of only 3 athletes ever to be drafted by the NFL, NBA, and MLB. He also is the only high school coach in Colorado history to win state championships at 3 different high schools.

The drawback to Logan is that he is a virtual unknown with respect to recruiting talent at the college level.

3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

The most significant obstacle Dave would have to overcome is his lack of coaching experience at the college or pro level. As you mentioned, he's a hell of a HS coach but that's a big jump to a BCS school.

I don't think recruiting would be an issue. As you probably know, Dave does a ton of radio and TV work so he could "talk up" CU to recruits.

4. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I agree that it would be a big jump for him. However, he could pull it off if he assembled an impressive staff.

Is Steve Foley still coaching in the Denver area?

5. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Is it just me or does Miles seem VERY comfortable and "attached" to this program?

He's going to be named as a contender for any open job, probably. But I just can't see him leaving in the next few years. And he does NOT seem like an NFL coach, so that Dallas rumor has got to be wrong.

6. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I think the Dallas job is Garrett's job to lose. Garrett stayed at Dallas when he could have had another HC job.

Jones has the luxury of taking Garrett for a test drive. If he likes what he sees, he only needs to go through the formality of the Rooney Rule.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

the Colorado job is a terrible job.

facilities aren't top notch
    money ain't gonna be there
    and if what i heard/read somewhere is true, recruiting is gonna be a bitch.
    supposedly after all that ruckus a few years back (taking recruits to strip clubs, getting them laid, etc.) Colorado now limits themselves on amount of time a recruit can spend on their trips to Boulder. I believe they only allow their trips to be half as long as what the rest of the Pac-10 allows.

8. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Plus, it's a pretty monochromatic student body and town. Hard to convince city kids to embrace the skiing and pot smoking culture. Well, maybe just the skiing.

But yeah, it's tough to recruit there. However, being in the Pac-10 should give them a boost. Plus it's not like the school has never had success before, they won a co-championship 20 years ago. Someone could win there, but it won't be Miles. If he doesn't leave for Michigan, he's surely not leaving for a Pac-10 school.

They would be smart to go after one of the better coaches in the MWC. I don't think they could get Patterson, but Kyle Whittingham would be worth a shot, no?

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

About the Dallas job, I doubt any big name coach is going to want it because of a) Jones' meddling and b) he probably wouldn't even be allowed to hire his own staff. At the very least, he'd probably be expected to keep Garrett on in some capacity. Very doubtful that Miles is interested.

I wonder what went wrong with Hawkins at CU. Although Chris Peterson deserves a lot of credit for what's happening at Boise, Hawkins is generally given credit for actually building that program. I believe Peterson was on his staff then, so maybe he was really the brains behind the outfit. Kind of like RichRod was the main reason for Tommy Bowden's success at Tulane.

10. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Dan Hawkins has been fired by Colorado today. His assistant will be the interim HC