Mezcal

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by NoLimitMD, Mar 18, 2006.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Alright, any of you lunatics like this firewater (in case you're not sure, it's the Mexican stuff that normally has worm in it)?

I absolutely love great sipping top shelf tequila, so I was thinking it may be the same for Mezcal (just different agave used to make it.) So, I got a sampler pack of it in Mexico, and am trying one of the reposados. It doesn't taste horrible, but it ain't exactly good.

Any experience here? Maybe I just have the wrong brand?

NOTE: There are a few of you that I can picture guzzling this by the quart back in the day (Goldengirlfan, for example.)

2. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

mezcal is awful.
    you will be ****ED up if you keep drinking it though.

Im in the navy and one of my good friends is mexican and brought that
    over to a house party one time.

it took the VARNISH off of the bar counter top when it was spilled.

SWEAR TO GOD.

He keeps trying to get me to drink it...

no way though, I discovered woodford reserve, an absolutely awesome 90 proof bourbon.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Thanks USNT, I was beginning to suspect that. Glad I bought the tequila instead of the mezcal!

I wonder how 80 proof mezcal can get you drunker than 80 proof anything else? Always odd, though does seem true sometimes.

How much is Woodford Reserve? Bulleitt is really good bourbon, and goes for about $26/Liter around here. Always eager to try new ones though.

4. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

http://www.woodfordreserve.com/home.asp

It really is a smooth bourbon. I don't even mess with jack or jim anymore...

its about 26, 27 bucks a bottle up in VA, but should be a bit cheaper down there in LA.

good stuff, you won't be dissapointed.

I brought a fifth to a party on friday night and everyone there kept commenting about the whiskey that was brought and how good it was.

read up on WR, it has won a lot of awards and stuff.

5. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Elijah Craig is really good. Goes for about $26 for the 12 year old. The 18 year old is about $50.00

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Good Mezcal is a lot like good Tequilla. Enjoy.

Bad Mezcal is Tequilla from Hell. The impurities in it will give you the mother of all hangovers.

7. TigerNtz

TigerNtz Ridley

I just stick to the good ol' college-student-budget classic...

[​IMG]
    Ahh... from the flask on Gameday!

8. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Here's my story:

In 1976 (I was 6 years old), my parents had a new house and had a house warming party, which was BYOB. AS sometimes happens, there was alot of booze left over after the party. Much of it was stuff my parents did'nt care about, so they put it all in a box in the garage and forgot about it.

Fast forward 20 years or so, and I am helping my parents clean out the garage. I come across the old box full of booze, whicha has now been aging 20 more years. JACKPOT!!! I adopted the box as my own as spoils of war.

Much of it was crap (Old Crow, Ancient Age), and still sits in my cabinet today, waiting for the eventual sucker to visit that will drink anything.

But there was one bottle of mescal, with worm intact. I don't even know the brand, because there was no label by the time I found it. But I kept it for special occasions. Over the years I would do a shot with friends if the occasion warrented it. I can't tell you about getting drunk off of it because I never did more than a couple of shots at a time (keep in mind that it is now over 30 years old). But it is VERY smooth. It is similar to doing a shot of premium tequila, but without the tequila aftertaste that makes your face pucker. After doing a shot, everyone says "Wow, that is really smooth". No aftertaste, just the feeling that you have had something really good.

That being said, I doubt I will be buying another bottle after this one is gone, which will be very soon.

9. TigerNtz

TigerNtz Ridley

That bottle better be empty come Monday if the Tigers bring home the National Championship!!!!

10. jjbodean1970

jjbodean1970 Founding Member

mezcal. drank once. half the bottle. ate the worm. never again.