make your own burrito night.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 16, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

when my kids were small, at least twice a month we'd have a make your own burrito night for dinner. we'd lay out the flour tortilla's, seasoned beef, refried beans, shredded cheeses, melted nacho cheese, salsa's, hot peppers for me, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, and hot sauce for me. then everyone would go up and take a plate and create their own and there would be plenty left for seconds and thirds. here is a recipe for burrito supreme with something i've never done which is adding flour to the beef mixture. see what you think and if you have some burrito recipes go ahead and share them. you can never have enough ways to make a good burrito.

Burrito Supreme

1 pound lean ground beef
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    Dash garlic powder
    1/2 cup water
    1 16-ounce can refried beans
    8 10-inch flour tortillas
    1/2 cup enchilada sauce
    3/4 cup sour cream
    2 cups shredded lettuce
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    1 medium tomato, diced
    1/2 cup diced yellow onion

In medium bowl, combine ground beef with flour, chili powder, salt, minced onion, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Use your hands to thoroughly mix ingredients into ground beef. Add seasoned beef mixture to water in a skillet over medium heat. Mix well, and break up meat as it cooks.

Heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. The finished product should be very smooth, somewhat pasty, with no large chunks of beef remaining. Heat up refried beans in covered container in microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.

Place flour tortillas on microwave-safe plate and heat for 30 to 45 seconds. Build each burrito by first spreading about ΒΌ cup of refried beans on center of heated tortilla. Spread 1/8 of the meat mixture over beans, then pour about a tablespoon of the enchilada sauce over meat. Stir sour cream well, then spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons onto burrito. Arrange some of the lettuce, cheese, tomato and onion onto the tortilla. Fold end of tortilla closest to you over the filling.

Fold either the left or right end over next. Then fold the top edge over the filling. Serve immediately.

2. snorton938

you can also lay out some taco shells too and have a make your own burrito and taco night.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Living in Texas, I do a soft taco bar a lot of times when I have people over for dinner. It's easy, cheap, and everybody likes tacos.

4. snorton938

you better believe it. what i like about doing these types of "you fix-it buffets" is you can get as creative as you like (only limited by your imagination).

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I would never add flour to the meat