LSU's biggest rival?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by drewaugrad, Jul 15, 2002.

1. drewaugrad

drewaugrad Freshman

I met a girl at a sigma nu party in auburn last may. i mean, this girl was really hot! anyway, to make a long story short, we ended up going to waffle house and talking until 4 in the morning. anyway, this girl attends the university of louisiana-monroe. she told me that their biggest rival is la. tech. she also apprised me of the fact that those two schools hate each other. well, this revelation struck my curiousity. who do lsu fans consider to be their biggest rival? tulane, auburn, alabama, ole miss, florida? i was just curious and i would gladly appreciate some input. thanks tiger fans.

1 person likes this.
  2. BayeuBlue

BayeuBlue Freshman

We are RESPECTED

We have no enemy's -- we are the most respected team in the SEC. We might not like alot of teams but they all RESPECT us!
    As for rivals -- our rival is who steps in our way to obtain our goal of the SEC championship.

Prediction -- I feel that the UT - A&M rivalry is dieing b/c OU is back on the map. I feel that if A&M is ever paired up with us and especially at a neutral site -- this could possibly become a huge rivalry down the road. I base this upon the nature of the two schools football programs and how big it would be for both university's --

**Watch out VT**

1 person likes this.
  3. Saba

Saba Freshman

Rivalry

In the past, Ole Miss was our biggest rivalry. That has changed a bit. It's still a big rivalry, but it usually isn't that big of a game. Last year and this year may be exceptions. Alabama and Florida you can scratch. They aren't big rivalry games. Tulane would be if we played them every year, but we don't. The game last year had no rivalry "feel" to it, in part because it was the first game of the year. Auburn is quickly becoming the big rivalry. It always has SEC west implications and there is some bad blood between the two.

Indeed, I must admit. 10 years ago, even 7 years ago I didn't mind Auburn. Now, I dislike them more than ANY OTHER SEC team. Why? Perhaps Tuberville has something to do with it. And not because his record against LSU is pretty good. It's because he seems to condone outrageous acts of defiance and misconduct by his players. I'm not sure about this in regards to other opponents besides LSU, but against LSU his conduct and control of his team makes him appear to be like someone who runs up from behind someone, hits him in the back of the head, then runs away yelling, "This man is after me!! Help!!" Its cowardly. If I'm being overly critical, I'm sorry, but the flame in this series is growing higher and hotter every year. This year I think something else will happen to dump truckloads of fuel on the fire. My vote is for Auburn as the big rivalry. Its new, but its intense.

4. drewaugrad

drewaugrad Freshman

hey guys,
    thanks for the input the rivalries of lsu. saba, as an auburn graduate and fan, i do condemn the actions of tommy tubberville(wingnut) and the players last season. however, i hope that the lsu faithful realize that the auburn fans are not a reflection of our coach. personally, i can't stand tubberville. the man can't even beat alabama. i strongly condemned the cigar smoking incident on lsu's field in 99, that showed no class and was not what auburn university is all about. since tubberville came to auburn in 99, he embarassed us before the entire nation by orchestrating a $500,000 buyout of the florida state game, turned ole miss and lsu fans against us, and last but certainly not least, was the sole reason for the embarassing 31-7 loss to a 4-5 alabama team at home. so saba, if you still contend that you hate tubberville more than me, well, i would love to debate that with point with you someday.

5. drewaugrad

drewaugrad Freshman

bablue,
    sorry to burst your bubble man, but lsu is not the most respected team in the sec. even though lsu has one of the greatest football traditions in the country, next to auburn's, i do have to say that florida is the most respected team in the conference. i mean, come on, in the last ten years, florida has won six sec championships, a feat that is unprecedented in the sec. i don't think that lsu, alabama or auburn has accomplished that feat in a ten year span. also, they won the national championship in 96. here's something esle, has anyone ever noticed that everytime florida gets beat on the road, the opposing fans tear down the goal post? if that isn't respect, then you might have to redefine the word for me. if lsu wants to be the most respected team in the sec, and i think that they have a good shot, they must beat florida first. do you actually think that the gators respect lsu after, pardon me tiger fans, thumping the bayou bangals 44-15 in their own house? i think not.

6. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Auburn - No ifs ands or butts. Tubby.

Simply look at a post on this very board from an Auburn Fan who came here and behaved like that. That post sums up the majority of the Auburn fans I have met. I wont even address the behavior of their team or coach.

Auburn - We can lose every game, if we beat Auburn I will be happy. Sad part I used to Like Auburn, I cheer for ANY SEC team not playing LSU. But Tubby has really really tarnished what once was a great program, with a great history of Bo Jackson, and undefeated Seasons.
    But now they get smoked by Bama 31-7, LSU then takes them to the woodshed, then to top it off they lose to an ACC team.

Hate to say it, but until Tubby leaves, I will gladly pay for some gas to keep the fire that is sinking the ship of Auburn known as Tubby aflame.

I will leave it at that...

As far as Florida respecting us, I agree with you. Until we beat the Florida's of the world we are not an Elite team.

Geaux Tigers.

Nothing Personal Drewaugrad, you seem to be a rare breed, an Auburn fan that is not tearing on everyone and acting like a JackA$$...
    I agree LSU is NOT the most respected school in the SEC, however keep in mind where you are at. THis is an LSU board, so to us they are the most respected team in the SEC as I am sure Auburn is with you. Taking my Purple and Gold Glasses off I would list it in this order. As far as national recognition and respect among other schools. (Football only)

1. Florida
    2. Tennessee
    3. Alabama
    4. Georgia
    5. LSU
    6. South Carolina
    7. Auburn
    8. Miss St
    9. Arkansas
    10. Kentucky
    11. Ole Miss
    12. Vandy

7. drewaugrad

drewaugrad Freshman

texas,
    i'm sorry to hear that you have that impression of auburn fans. most of us are good people, trust me. there are, however, some bad seeds that tarnish our good name. auburn and lsu both have the same amount of fans who talk smack. i think that every team and school does. it all goes with the competitive rivalries which the auburn and lsu game is becoming. auburn and lsu is becomming a perennial rivalry because auburn and lsu are usually battling for the supremacy in the sec west. this fact will only be magnified in the future due to alabama's inability to compete because of probation. well, texas, the only thing that i can tell you is to come to auburn on oct. 26 and you will meet some congenial people. give it a shot man, we're not all that bad. and once again, WE'RE NOT A REFLECTION OF OUR COACH!

8. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

True all of us have our bad Fans. I would even venture to say we have many that I wish would just stay home sometimes.

And last year I tailgated next to some nice Auburn fans and we had a great time.

I guess my beef is, this rivalry has become nasty. And when I see and Auburn fan come here and post like that person posted, I wonder. "aren't we all southeners, and can we not put some prespective on things"

I guess, I am taking out my disdain for the actions of Tubby and his team out on ALL Auburn fans, which I guess is not the right approach.

I will make the trip and I hope the actions of Both LSU fans and Auburn fans can be left in the past of last year.

Geaux Tigers

9. RockyMtTiger

RockyMtTiger Founding Member

Auburn is our fiercest rival at the moment, but the problem is that Alabama, and probably Georgia, are bigger rivals from an Auburn standpoint. In fact, there is no one on LSU's schedule that considers their game with the Tigers as their biggest game year-in and year-out. I think people were hoping that Arkansas would become that kind of rival, but so far that hasn't happened. Maybe, someday.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I believe that an LSU/Aubur rivalry has grown more since the division of the SEC. Since then, the Auburn/LSU game usually is a reflection of both schools' whole seasons. As that game goes, so goes the SEC West. So everyone looks forward to that game and the losers are always very disappointed.