LSU DC Gibbs headed for the NFL

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ellis Hugh, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Can't really blame him for taking a promotion. I don't see this as a problem because Saban will always be the real DC.
    LSU's Gibbs gets job with Cowboys

02/28/02

By Wright Thompson
    Staff writer/The Times-Picayune

BATON ROUGE -- LSU football coach Nick Saban is looking for his fourth defensive coordinator in a little more than two years.

Gary Gibbs, who held the position in 2001, has left the Tigers to be linebackers coach with the Dallas Cowboys.

"I will certainly miss the players, who have been great to work with, all of the coaches and the great LSU fans who make this a special place," Gibbs said. "The opportunity in Dallas is one in which I didn't feel I could pass up. I will certainly take a lot of great memories of LSU with me."

Saban first hired John Thompson, but he left shortly thereafter to take the same job at Arkansas. His replacement, Phil Elmassian, left after the 2000 season for West Virginia. Gibbs replaced Elmassian.

Gibbs, who was the head coach at Oklahoma for six seasons, has spent most of his career as a defensive coordinator -- at Oklahoma, Georgia and LSU. This is Gibbs' first job in professional football.

"To get the opportunity to coach in the NFL with the Dallas Cowboys is great for Gary and his family," Saban said. "He did an outstanding job during his stay at LSU, and we wish him a great deal of success with the Cowboys."

The highlight of Gibbs' year at LSU was holding No. 2 Tennessee to 37 yards rushing in a 31-20 victory in the SEC championship game. That was one week after the Vols rushed for 241 yards in a 34-32 victory against Florida.

"I want to thank Coach Saban for the opportunity he gave me to be a part of his staff and to coach at LSU," Gibbs said. "Coach Saban is committed to excellence, and he's certainly building something very special here at LSU. I feel very privileged to have coached at LSU, and I'm very proud to have been a part of the SEC championship as well as the Sugar Bowl win over Illinois."