LSU basketball Recruiting (2009)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by artichokes, May 20, 2007.

1. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

Thought I'd go ahead and start this thread, as this will be one of the most important classes in about a decade. With numerous scholarships available, Brady recently commented that they are more focused on this class than the 2008 class. 2009 is a crucial year.

Our top prospects are:
    Tommy Mason-Griffin: A small, crafty point-guard from Texas. He is a self-described pass-first point guard that pushes the tempo. He has a smooth jumper that stretches out to the 3pt line. What he lacks in height (5-10), he makes up for with a muscle-packed body.

Kenny Boynton: A lights-out shooting guard that reigns from Florida, Boynton is very capable of throwing in 30+ points a game. He is extremely adept when it comes to shooting the 3pt shot.

Noel Johnson: Johnson is a very versatile small forward from Georgia. He has very nice handles, and a smooth jumper. Also, his descriptions on Rivals seem to hint that he is a high-flyer.

DeMarcus Cousins: The #2 rated prospect in 2009, Cousins is an old-school, body-banging power forward from Alabama. He is a work-horse, and hustles for rebounds and loose balls. He is a great passer, especially at full-court outlet passes. He is also very good at scoring on the blocks, preferring to work the baselines. This is exactly the type of player LSU could use.

Let's see what becomes of this class. Brady better be doing his homework. :lsup:

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Re: Hoops Recruiting (2009)

Really? What about Monroe? :grin:

3. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

'Chokes, you stealin' my thunder!?:)

Seriously, tho', good on you for starting the list.

The only problem as I see it, tho', is what happens this coming year on the court. I like the fact that a lot of these kids are putting LSU's name on their lists. I don't know if this b/c of a kid like TMG committing early and talking LSU up, as a pretty good point guard in '09. Or, the fact that LSU's final four makes these kids think we're a serious contender.

BUT, I can't help but feel a little nervous still about how seriously these kids take us. The good news is at least with the one-and-done rule, the reality is there are more good high school kids that NEED to go to college for at least a year, and them going to college does clog up the recruiting pipeline a little. So, to Deek's point, even if we lose Monroe, can we still win with 4 star kids and other 5 star kids, not named Monroe? Sure.

A class of the "other" LA kids of mention in '08, plus some good players (not even the Boynton's of the world) from the south in '09, could still mean solid momentum for the future.

The key in my mind on the '09 recruiting thread, is what kind of year Brady puts up next year with a "sleeper" team (i.e., can he be competitive in a new SEC, with Pelphry and Gillipsie joining the fray?), and can he put a few of his players on the "NBA" map after next season. Getting kids like Rolle, Tas', Marcus Thornton, Randolph or others on the NBA watch list, will IMO influence the '09 kids' minds about LSU's ability to get them to the next level as well, and help LSU NEXT summer, which is the key to '09.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

We hired a guy named Dollar as our assistant. He has strong ties in Georgia and supposed to be a good recruiter. What players are we targeting in the GA area?

5. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Hmmmm... interesting indeed. When I read "Dollar" I thought, CAMERON DOLLAR? YES! But, it's his brother Chad.

Well, I have to say, given that "many folks" expressed interest, it's not an earthshattering hire. But, perhaps here are some theories why this is a good thing.

1. Dollar at least comes from a basketball family--and he was a guard. We need more heady guard play, and that's probably Brady paid attention to.
    2. Georgia is a completely untapped market for LSU, and is a hoops haven. Considering Georgia is going through their own basketball struggles in the SEC, it may be as good a Non-LA recruiting ground to hit than any... harder these days to go in AL and MS and take recruits away from 'Bama and MSU and Ole Miss, so why not try GA.
    3. While Dollar has moved around, he's had some history at some small "basketball schools" working with some interesting names. Murray State is a known small basketball school, and Dollar also worked with Travis Ford at Eastern Kentucky. No big surprise, Murray State's write up of Dollar a few years back was WAY more descriptive than the lousy LSU sports.net write up...http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=898710

http://www.goracers.com/ViewArticle...83&DB_OEM_ID=6700&ATCLID=272265&Q_SEASON=2006

The flip side to this is you would have liked to see someone with more proven track records, or someone with some NBA ties. GA Southern may not have set the world on fire (although they did have two 20 win seasons when Dollar was coaching there). They also didn't necessarily "recruit" all that well against the big boys. They did have decent guards tho' (http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/story/georgia_southern_signs_willie_powers6056), so again, I'm hoping that Dollar's ability to recruit and coach guards and small forwards help balance out our post-heavy coaching staff. What's also interesting here is that Dollar makes this change right after Murray State brought on two new assistant coaches... crowded bench? http://www.goracers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6700&ATCLID=885530

So, welcome to the Tiger Nation, Chad Dollar. Let's get busy recruiting.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

have you already forgotten whipple and jabari?

id say the problem with recruiting Ga are:

farther away (heck, cincinnati, louisville, memphis, bloomington, in and charleston wv are all closer to atl than BR is)
    dont forget GaTech
    closer to Fla
    in ACC country

not to say we shouldnt try.

7. artichokes

C'mon. Everyone knows that players who truly want to prepare for the NBA play in the rough and tough SEC, riiiight?

8. artichokes

Terrance Boyd
    http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=39592

9. artichokes

The next Glen Davis? This is one big fellow.
    http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=54694

Keith Gallon
    Boasts an LSU offer. 6'8'', 290 pounds.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

not if he's "quick off the floor to dunk".