Louisiana's Eli Manning: Currently at the peak of his NFL career?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by JohnLSU, Jan 28, 2008.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

The NFL is a foreign land to me that I don't even have average knowledge of. But with that in mind:

I knew Peyton Manning had a shot at being an NFL great, after all, what he did at Tennessee was pretty impressive. I know he ended up getting the most Heisman votes for a QB at least one year (the year he surprisingly finished #2 in the Heisman vote behind Charles Woodson of Michigan, which I was happy about at the time being that I liked Woodson at the time and hated Peyton at the time).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But as for Eli, he was a great QB for Ole Miss (a small-time program), but I don't remember him ever getting a vote for the Heisman like his Dad did at QB for Ole Miss in back to back years when he was QB there. I figured Eli wouldn't even make it as an NFL starting QB. When the Giants let him be their QB, I figured he wouldn't be that great, and wouldn't last long as a pro QB. But at the same time, I always felt bad for him, being that his older brother and Dad were so great, and always hoped he'd do well one day.

Like I said, I don't know a lot about NFL football, but it seems to me Eli is currently at the peak of his career. I even saw yesterday that he made the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine.

[​IMG]

I expect the Pats will smash the Giants, and that in future years, Eli will be a decent QB for the Giants until they get someone better, and that Eli doesn't have much of a chance at being a successful long-term QB in the NFL.

What are the thoughts about Eli from people that actually know something about the NFL?

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I would say Eli is far from his peak of his career. He had some downright awful games this year. During the playoffs, he switched from trying to be everything for the team to playing a Matt Mauck type role where he just did what the team needed him to do and that was controlling the O. Less mistakes and putting his team in a position to win.

That is a great quality for a young guy to learn so fast in the NFL though. He will be at his peak when he has all cylinders clicking consistently. I do think he will get there and a Superbowl loss will motivate him to only get better.

BTW, Eli was at the top of the Heisman race when he was a senior. He was at the award presentation and came out 3rd behind Pat White who was crushed in the NC game, and Larry Fitzgerald. He did finish in front of RB Chris Perry of UM.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I have been a big supporter of Eli -- why? I am not sure.

I guess because he takes more shots then he deserves. The guy says the right things and seems like a good guy. I saw him get drunk as piss at Ole Miss and appreciated the fact he was somewhat normal.

With that being said, I think he is nowhere near his peak. It seems like he is just getting the confidence needed to throw balls and is now getting his teammates confidence. It also helps that bald headed ass clown of a RB is now gone that no one in the entire league liked.

Eli can make all the throws and has the QB IQ to do well, I think he just needed some support. He wont be the best in the league, but I think he could be a regular Pro Bowler down the line.

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Eli is not at the peak, but he's on his way up. Keep in mind he's only 26 at this point. QBs get better with age - provided they've been in the league since college, of course (see Chris Weinke).

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I really dont think anything could be further from the truth regarding Eli. He had, by far, his worst year statistically in 2007. He had a few good games but was wretched in many more. If he does turn out to be an all time great QB this year may be what propels him but he isnt even close to being at the peak.