Lets hear those recipes....

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by mesquite tiger, Apr 3, 2004.

1. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

I know I am looking for a good pastalaya recipe for a family size portion (4-5 people). I have one to feed a big group, but I have been unsuccessful trying to cut it down.

I am also always open to new jambalaya ideas as well.

bring em on......

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

i wouldnt mind hearing a good gumbo recipe that would remind me of home, since i no longer live in louisiana. i cant get one from my family, because they arent originally from louisiana and only know about crap like south carolina BBQ. now i live a sad gumbo-free existence up north.

3. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

here is what is called "clean out the refrigerator" jambalaya and it comes in great after christmas especially if someone sends one of those sausage gift packs:

1. start on medium to medium high heat with 1/4 to 1/3 cup of oil
    2. when oil gets hot add in 1 cup onion, 1 cup celery, 1 cup green pepper (or more if you like)....add 1st layer of seasoning which can be salt & pepper, cayenne, emeril's or whatever you like....heat until vegetables start to get translucent
    3. add in a couple of cloves of garlic too if you like (but wait til vegetables cook awhile since garlic can burn)
    4. add in at least a cup (preferrably more if you like) of each: sliced sausages, diced ham, diced chicken or turkey and chopped up whatever meat is is in there (at this point if you need to add a little more oil go ahead).....add in 2nd layer of seasoning (salt, pepper, cayenne, etc)
    5. stir until the meats start to brown
    6. add in rice (around 2 cups or less if you don't want leftovers) and stir until the rice is well coated with the oil and fat from the meats.
    7. add in your chicken stock (or whatever stock you have) usually a ratio of 1 1/2 to 2 times the amount of rice.
    8. cover and let it cook about 20-25 minutes or until rice is done....if you want to add in some shrimp or other seafood then wait until 10-15 minutes then add seafood, stir in and then cover and cook the last 10 minutes
    9. when done, taste and see if it needs a final seasoning, stir and serve.

great way to clean out the fridge.

4. snorton938

very good and very fun to make......here is chef paul's gumbo ya ya (so good it makes you say ya ya):

ingredients:

1 whole chicken, cut up or 5 boneless chicken breasts (easier)
    2 tablespoons creole seasoning (like emeril's essence)
    2 1/2 cups of flour
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups onions coarsely chopped
    1 1/2 cups celery coarsely chopped
    2 cups green pepper coarsely chopped
    6 cups chicken broth
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
    1 pound andouille (or italian) sausage finely diced (or any spicy sausage like kielbasa)
    4 cups hot cooked rice

cut chicken breasts in half crosswise to get a total of 10 pieces of chicken.
    season with creole seasoning. measure flour into large paper bag. add chicken pieces and shake until well-coated. remove chicken and reserve the remaining flour in the bag.

in a large skillet, brown the chicken in very hot oil, remove and set aside. stir oil remaining in the skillet with a wire whisk to loosen any brown pieces on the bottom of the pan. make roux by whisking in 1 cup of the remaining flour and stirring constantly until the roux turns dark brown......now if you haven't made lot of dark roux's be careful here. before you start adding the flour, wait for the oil to cool down some by lowering the heat and then start adding the flour a little at a time stirring constantly....you don't want to burn it or it will ruin the dish so go slow and if it gets light brown and you say i don't want to risk burning it that's fine too. when the roux is done remove from heat and add onions, celery, and green pepper stirring constantly until vegetables are tender.

transfer the roux and vegetables to a dutch oven or large pot. add stock to roux and vegetables and bring to a boil (important to do this since this will bring out the full thickening power of the roux). reduce heat to simmer and add garlic, sausage and chicken. continue cooking, covered, until the chicken is tender, 1 3/4 to 2 hours. adjust seasoning and serve in bowls over rice.

it is delicious and well worth the time......serves about 10 (you can cut it down to serve less).....also, you start any gumbo by making a roux.....for seafood gumbo's i make a blonde to peanut butter shade roux (cook the flour in oil less time over the heat).....then i add my celery, onions, green pepper (called the trinity).....then i add in 1-2 cans chopped tomatoes.....then i add in my shrimp stock.....bring to a boil.....making sure it is plenty seasoned....i bring down the heat and let it simmer in this case uncovered for maybe 20 minutes so some evaporation will take place and the flavors will concentrate......then i add-in the shrimp and cut up catfish or whatever seafood you like (scallops)......i'll let this cook about 10 minutes more or until the seafood is done (not overdone)....it's plenty thick and you just pour some over a bowl of rice....yum.....and if for some reason it doesn't get thick enough, then never be afraid to cheat by dissolving some cornstarch in a little cold water and add it in.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Buy heads on shrimp. I don't know if they sell them with the heads still on in New York but its important to have the heads to make your stock. This makes the gumbo taste a lot better than if you use chicken or turkey stock, at least for a seafood gumbo.

While you are boiling the heads make a roux. I like to use bacon grease instead of regular vegetable oil for the flavor even if its not the healthiest thing in the world. While you are making the roux season it with black pepper, a cajun seasoning like Tony Chacheries, a couple of cloves of crushed fresh garlic and a few drops of Tabasco Sauce. Don't worry, the Tabasco hotness will cook away and just leave the flavor.

Chop up a large onion, a medium bell pepper and 2 large stalks of celery.
    When the roux reaches a dark chocolate color add the chopped veggies to the roux and stir them up while the fire is still under the skillet. You can add some fresh okra to this if you desire.

Strain the shrimp heads out of your stock - The easiest way to do that without leaving any head fragments is to pour it through a collander from one pot to the other. Then add your roux to the cleaned shrimp stock and simmer over low heat until the veggies a slightly softened while stirring to mix the roux thoroughly.

Add 5 pounds of shrimp, a quart of oysters with the liquid, a pound of lump crabmeat and some gumbo crabs to the pot. I generally don't use the gumbo crabs unless I have been fishing and caught or bought the crabs live because the frozen gumbo crabs they sell in the supermarket leave a lot to be desired.

Add some file to the mix for thickening, a couple of bay leaves and if you like garlic throw in as many cloves of finely chopped fresh garlic as you like.
    While the pot is simmering add seasonings to taste. (Black and red pepper, cajun seasoning or salt, etc.)

Simmer over low heat until the shrimp and oysters are cooked.

Serve in bowls over rice.

If there is any left the gumbo will be even better the second day after the ingredients marinate together in the refrigerator.

6. snorton938

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

thanks, i tried to just make up gumbo with no real plan in my head a few months ago, and it wasnt very good. but then again, it wasnt so terrible the third day after i had made it. when i do it again, i think i wont touch it until i give it at least a day to rest, that seemed to make a huge difference for me. and thats a good plan about the shrimp head stock. and using stock to cook the rice, i wouldnt have thought of that either. good stuff.

this is making me hungry.

8. BengalBelle9119

BengalBelle9119 Founding Member

I usually add one or two capfuls of Liquid Crab Boil to my gumbos for added flavor!

9. snorton938

i've never made pastalaya before, but this recipe says it serves 6.....take look and see if you like it.....it looks like it would be pretty good.

Fleur-de-Lis Seafood Pastalaya
    PREP TIME: 45 Minutes
    SERVES: 6

COMMENT:
    Jambalaya is one of the oldest rice dishes in Louisiana. The dish traces its roots back to paella, that great Mediterranean rice dish. With the heavy Italian influence in South Louisiana, it is quite easy to understand how the ingredients of seafood jambalaya made their way onto the pasta platter.

INGREDIENTS:

2 dozen (21-25 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 pound cooked crawfish tails
    1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
    12 ounces uncooked Penne pasta
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup diced onions
    1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
    1/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
    1/4 cup garlic, minced
    3/4 cup julienned andouille sausage
    1/2 cup diced Creole tomatoes
    2 tbsps flour
    1 quart shellfish stock
    1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
    2 tbsps chopped fresh basil
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    Salt and black pepper to taste
    Creole seasoning to taste
    12 whole mussels
    6 (21-25 count) shrimp, head-on
    METHOD:
    In a large cast iron dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, garlic and andouille sausage. Saute 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add tomatoes and blend well into the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle in flour and, using a wire whisk, stir constantly until white roux is achieved. Add shellfish stock, 1 ladle at a time, until all has been incorporated. Add thyme, basil and season to taste using salt, pepper and Creole seasoning. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook 5 minutes. Add peeled shrimp, crawfish and lump crabmeat. Gently blend seafoods into the simmering liquid. Add green onions then fold in pasta. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook pastalaya 20-25 minutes or until pasta is al dente and liquid has been absorbed. Prior to serving, line mussels and head-on shrimp across the top of the pasta, cover pot and cook until mussels open and shrimp are pink and curled, approximately 7-10 minutes. When ready to serve, transfer pasta to a decorative platter and arrange mussels and head-on shrimp across the top as garnishes.