Laughable hypocrisy by the rightwing US leaders

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Tom, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Tom

Tom Founding Member

This was one of the funniest complaints I have ever seen my entire life. We have the Sapling administration criticizing nations for shipping arms to other countries (Yemen receiving Scud missiles from North Korea). Hmmm, now let's see -- who has been the biggest arms supplier in the history of the world over the last few decades, most going to rightwing dictators supposedly to fight communism. Why I do believe it was the US, who has been called almost everywhere "The arms supplier of the world". It is thus quite LAUGHABLE for the extreme right in this country to complain about other countries doing exactly the same thing the US has done for decades, and BTW, the recipients were not any better than the nations receiving them now, may even have been less deserving. This is the typical hypocrisy that the rightwing of this country have become famous for. Send weapons to rightwing dictators or ostensibly to fight an enemy of the US -- hey, that's fine. If a country the US doesn't approve of sells or receives weapons -- hey, wait a minute, this is totally irresponsible and will make the world more unsafe. Total and complete hypocrisy!

2. Bengal Stan

Bengal Stan Freshman

Tom, we just don't want those scuds shooting at

our troops. That is the most important thing at this time.

3. Bengal Stan

Bengal Stan Freshman

being shot. oops nm

asf

4. JD

JD Founding Member

Re: Tom, we just don't want those scuds shooting at

Damn straight, Stan. Trouble is when we have supported copious amounts of arms sales in the past (israel has always been a major arms dealer, e.g.), it makes it that much more difficult to stop when they are aimed directly at us. It's not just republicans.

5. Bengal Stan

Bengal Stan Freshman

I think we stop the arms going to our enemies, or potential

enemies NOW, regardless of who sold what to whom in the past. My point is that we MUST stop arms that are meant to kill our soldiers now, regardless of politics or partisan arguing. We are currently at war and it will soon be expanded.

6. JD

JD Founding Member

Re: I think we stop the arms going to our enemies, or potential

I agree - we have to stop it. But hopefully, sometime, we'll think about the long run when we support every petty dictator because they SAY they are fighting our enemy - Hussein and the Taliban are exhibits A and B.

7. Tom

Tom Founding Member

Bengal Stan, my guess is NO country wants their troops killed

That includes North Korea, Great Britain, Iraq, etc. To attempt to justify stopping LEGAL arms sales is clearly against international law which is why the US had to let those ships go. There is nothing illegal about N. Korea selling Yemen Scuds. The bottom line is some of the Palestinian weaponry has been traced back to none other than ISRAELI settlers. Once again, I repeat that what the US does with arms sales is probably the biggest hypocrisy I have ever seen in my lifetime. The US can sell arms to ANYONE and either hides it via the CIA or expects not to be criticized. If a country the US doesn't like get arms delivered, that is unacceptable in the rightwing faction's eyes. Personally, Iraq has every right to acquire any arms they want to at this time. They are in danger of being invaded by another country (US) that has neither world body (UN) support nor has ANY proof been put forth that shows the SLIGHTEST excuse for an invasion. Either a country has principles or they don't -- Sapling and the present rightwing regime obviously doesn't give a damn about international law NOR presenting evidence to support a war.