Kayak redfishin'!!

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by Fishhead, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Preface---my apologies to those that had to work today. :hihi:
    -
    Got a wild hair and decided to take my kayak to Reggio, LA, paddle into the marsh, and see what I could do. FWIW, I spent a little time on googleearth to find the best place to do this, and noticed some really fishy looking marsh within paddling distance...so I chose Reggio Marina for my adventure.
    -
    I caught a bunch of reds, and some "green trout" as well. My first several fish were on topwadda...then after the clouds broke and the sun came out, I started spoon feedin' 'em. It was fun getting my first several cajun sleigh rides...and I caught some really nice fish. All approx 15 minutes from the launch in Reggio...by kayak. I never was where I couldn't see the octagon house by the marina...and I didn't see another fisherman all day...they just couldn't get to where I was!:wave::wave::wave:
    -
    I fished for about 3 hours, then the clouds "unbroke"...and liquid sunshine/electric rain put an end to the day. I ALMOST beat the rain back to the launch! :redface:
    -
    I need to make a few modifications to the yak to make it more marsh fishing friendly...like a thicker cushion on the seat, and a cheapo GPS...just to make sure I don't get somewhere and can't get out. Not that I needed to today, but I want to explore a little deeper in the marsh than I did today. I just didn't feel comfortable doing that today...not knowing my way around in there...and not wanting to spend the night there should I get turned around. A GPS will put my mind at ease in that regard.
    Also need to find a way to mount the camera in front of me so I can shoot video while I'm hooked up. I think a little engineering and it can be done. I must get video of this...people deserve to see how much fun this is! This was the most fun I've had fishing in a LOOOOOONG time...and I have fun EVERY time I fish! :thumb:
    -
    Here's some pics from the trip...as easy and inexpensive as this was...and great fishing to boot...I WILL be doing it again soon...probably within a week! :hihi:

Leaving the launch...

[​IMG]-
    First kayak redfish evah!

[​IMG]

-
    Green trout!

[​IMG]

-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D

3 people like this.
  2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Oh man, that's awesome. Where is Reggio? I've been to Dularge.

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Reggio is the launch on the left right before you get to Delacroix...St Bernard...where life ain't hard. It's a really small launch site/marina...and most people don't even know it exists...they just drive right by and go to the Delacroix launches. It's actually a better place to launch IMHO, because it's not crowded, (except during duck season), and it offers access to the very same water. In fact, for redfishing, it offers access to better water. It's a little north of Bayou Terre Aux Boeufs, which is where most of the freshwater from Caenarvon diversion flows down. The water is always a little cleaner/clearer on the Reggio side of the bayou...but there's still enough freshwater influence to offer some green trout action...and the reds seem to be fatter on the Reggio side. The place is so full of bait, it's like a redfish buffet...and they take advantage.
    -
    Not Dularge, but Pointe au Chene is a place I used to take my canoe during the winter. I fish the pipeline canals that run into the road down there...just throw it in from the side of the road. If we catch it right, sometimes we limit on trout just a few hundred yards from the road. You have to jump a dam though. Not a problem with a light boat...even for someone your age.:hihi: I know Nootch knows where I'm talking about.

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Ive been around there in a kayak a few times. When we were little and werent allowed to boat we would head up there. Im jealous.

I threw some worm looking thing around this afternoon and I caught a -2 ounce bass - only because I spotted him beforehand. I dont get along with that silly freshwater.

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I am beond jealous man! Just looking at the map there, some nice honey holes to get into with the yak. Friends and I have been looking for low budget fishing methods because bank fishing isn't cuttin it anymore.

How good are you with the yak? Ever heard of using one to bring bait out a few hundred yards off shore to catch some big ones? Basically setup on beach, run your bait out, come back to shore and wait. Know some people who have a real blast doing this.

Now ya got me thinking about kayaks........... Dangit!

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I know some guys in LA (lower Alabama) that fish offshore in the things! Of course, they don't have to go offshore far to find offshore fish. I've caught kings on the beach there. I'll try to find some pics from them...some with kings, even cobes and tarpon! Can you imagine trying to bring a green cobe aboard a yak??!!
    -
    Do you have a yak or canoe? Would love to meet down there and fish. There's plenty of water for a few of us. I have a canoe also. I'll probably bring it next time...I wanna be able to stand up every now and then. The water is so clear in there, but being almost on the same level as the water, I couldn't sight fish at all. I did see some tails and backs out of the water though...and caught pretty much every one I saw tailing. They cooperated quite well today...good tide.

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

You can have a real blast catching sharks doing the method I mentioned. I personally would never try that because with a yak I am a novice at best. Handling the waves near shore is a challenge to get out there sometimes. I've seen people have the times of their lives doing it tho!

No yak or canoe here. Been staring them down for years though. Those pictures are awesome. Talk about motivation! We were planning on checking out that area soon, hadn't ever been. Shell Beach, Delecroix, etc.

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Stop depriving yourself, man! If you like redfishing...especially sight fishing...'tis Heaven!

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

and the homesickness just gets worse.....

Sounds like an awesome trip. Thanks for the pics and post!

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I knew this one would get you to post. I started to put it in your thread, but thought it deserved it's own. I knew you'd find it.:lol: