Jason Vargas

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ScottyB28, Apr 25, 2006.

1. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

Did anyone see Jason Vargas pitch last night for the Marlins? He pitched around 6 innings and only gave up 2 hits and no runs. The bullpen blew it and they lost 6-3 and he didn't get a decision.

2. gotlsu

gotlsu Founding Member

Watch the whole game in HD
    HD baseball on ESPN is the bomb!!

3. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

Never seen anything in HD, can't wait too though.

4. gotlsu

gotlsu Founding Member

Man you are missing out!!!
    I recently purchased the 50" SONY SXRD
    Also the TIVO HD DVR, cant wait for football season.....

5. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

yeah he pitched pretty well but i am a cubs fan....I am glad they blew it.....vargas was only at lsu one year right?

6. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

must be nice.

7. gotlsu

gotlsu Founding Member

i like my toys not that i can afford them

8. gotlsu

gotlsu Founding Member

Vargas was drafted by Major League Baseball's Minnesota Twins with the 1,273rd pick in the 2001 amateur draft. Jason declined and decided to go to Louisiana State University. As a freshmen at LSU, Vargas went 1-1 with a 3.43 ERA in 13 games. However, Vargas decided to transfer out of LSU after the 2001 season to Cypress for the 2003 season, picking a junior college so he would still be eligible for the draft. He was the Southern California junior college player of the year for his work on the mound and at the plate. However, as the season wore on, his arm slot dropped; and his velocity fell into the mid-80s. That, combined with Vargas' signing bonus demands, depressed his draft stock, so he went undrafted.

Vargas headed to Long Beach State for his senior year. He liked the school's history of producing major league talent and liked the school's hard-nosed mentality even more, especially after getting a recommendation from former Dirtbag J.J. Newkirk, who played for Vargas' father Joe at Victor Valley. Vargas arrived at LBS with a new work ethic determined to improve upon his year at Cypress College. Vargas also proved a fast learner. At Long Beach, he learned to keep his top half aligned with his lower half over the rubber and not drift toward the plate as he twisted through his delivery. The tweak allowed Vargas to repeat his mechanics and keep his arm higher, which in turn increased the velocity on his fastball and improved the break on his curveball. The new work ethic paid off, and in 2004 Vargas went 7-6 with a 4.14 ERA in 18 games on the mound, while hitting .354 with 14 doubles and five home runs as the team's designated hitter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
    :po:

9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

yeah, i guess i could get a best buy card and charge that stuff too. :hihi:

10. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

too bad ill be watching the games in person :thumb: