it has to set overnit but an easy breakfast/brunch recipe.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 17, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

here is a great one from paula on paula's home cooking (food network). it has to set overnite in the fridge but it's worth it and it's easy:

Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
    Show: Paula's Home Cooking Episode: Spring Brunch

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 8 hours Yield: 6 to 8 servings

1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
    8 large eggs
    2 cups half-and-half
    1 cup milk
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Dash salt
    Praline Topping, recipe follows
    Maple syrup

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
    The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
    1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 cup chopped pecans
    2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

2. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

I've got a breakfast casserole that's killer.

Take 1 1/2 cups of bisquick, 6 - 8 large eggs, 1 cup of shredded cheese (which ever you want), a cup of milk, a roll of spicy sausage, onions and any other peppers you might want.

Beat the eggs in a large bowl, add the onions and spices, cheese and milk. Cook the sausage and crumble it up and add it to the egg mixture. Put all of that in a 9 x 13 pan and mix in the bisquick. Bake at 375 (I believe, I go mostly by instinct on this one) until done. What comes out is awesome. Serve with bacon.

I know I'm not as in depth as Snorton on this recipe, but it is great if you try it.

3. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

dude, when you've got cheese, spicy sausage, onions and peppers you can't go wrong. this sounds delicious.