Ipod

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by BB, Mar 20, 2005.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

Would someone be kind enough to take a few minutes to explain these Ipod things to me. I mean really break it down like I'm a toddler. My buddy has one and it seems like a great product that I would use all the time, but I have no idea what it entails, how it works, how many choices I have, etc.

Thanks for any help, tips, reccomendations...

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

facts about ipods:

1. they hold entire music collections, often enough that you can literally listen to music for 4 weeks straight and never hear the same song twice. ten thousand songs is a lot.

2. they are essentially little hard drives, meaning they have a little spinning platter inside, like in your pc. the other option is usually a flash player, which has no moving parts and holds like 1 or 1.5 gig instead of 20 or 40 gig. the ipod shuffle is a flash player, and is 99$ for the half gig and 150 for the gig player. it has no screen.

3. the ipod minis hold 4 or 6 gig and cost 199ish. i prefer them because 4 gig is more than enough for me. they are available in fashionable colors for homos.

4. i suspected that ipods were not actually better, but merely fashionable, and was annoyed by how everyone apparently had to have one to be cool. but after further research i have concluded they are the superior product on the market. the only flaw i see is the lack of radio. the main competitor is probably the iriver, which is pretty good from what i hear.

....i would keep going but i gotta run.....damn vermont is nuts!

3. BB

BB Founding Member

Thanks, Martin - where do you get the music from? Can you transfer from CD? Does it cost money per song?

4. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

Yeah you can get the music from a CD. You can buy music at the online Itunes store for 99 cents per song. I got my Ipod for free and love it.

5. BB

BB Founding Member

Is mine free?

6. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I bought mine from www.apple.com online on March 16th of last week (Wednesday)...It was shipped Thursday from Shanghai, China, and has been in Kenner, Louisiana, since March 18th at around 9:30pm...

I got it laser engraved for free for purchasing it online, and used the expedited shipping. I got the brushed aluminum gray color, as martin mentioned beforehand most of the other colors were rather pastel for my pallet.

The cost of the player was $199+$11.00 (US) for the expedited shipping for a total of $226.80 after shipping, handling, and taxes. It will be delivered via Fed Ex on or before 10:30am tomorrow.

It is a 4GB version, complete with iTunes software and cable connetions (USB & Firewire)...If you already have your music collection on your PC, transfer it to the iTunes software, and then it will seamlessly download to your player in a quick fashion...You can download almost your entire collection onto it, and whenever you dock it again, it will immediately check for new music added to your PC since the last docking.

My girlfriend's mom won one at her office, and I got to playing with it last weekend...I got hooked because I think the iPod Mini has all of one actual moving part button. The rest of the function buttons are seamlessly integrated into the "roller disk" that acts as a sort of synaptic touchpad to help you navigate the OS on the iPod. You can set up playlists, use the random shuffle feature, etc...The headphones that came with it seemed adequate, but I wasn't focusing on sound quality, just the thought that you can work out or jog or whatever and take your ENTIRE music collection with you...

It also has a backlight feature that's nice in low light for night time running, etc...

Check it out...

7. TigerEducated

I think that mine is this color...

[​IMG]

8. BB

BB Founding Member

Thanks, TE.

9. TigerEducated

BB, if you have Kazaa or Bear Share or whatever...You can probably download iTunes to start the transfer of your PC based music collection or the ripping of your CD's...That way, by the time you get your iPod home, all you have to do is plug it in and get ready to listen...

10. BB

BB Founding Member

So you bought the mini Ipod or the big one? Is it worth the extra $ to invest in the big one?