interesting bit about Tiger Stadium/LSU Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 2arms2legsTIGER, Jan 28, 2008.

1. 2arms2legsTIGER

2arms2legsTIGER Founding Member

Saw this image posted on another forum. It is from 1936. What, is so interesting (maybe not so interesting to some)? Look at how the endzones are painted as checker boards. Never knew LSU ever did that although I've heard checkered endzones weren't exactly exclusive to Neyland. Because it's black and white, anyone happen to knwo if the checker patterned was white squares or if they were colored? Also, apparently this was taken during an LSU/Tulane game, would one endzone be green-white and the other purrple-gold back then (just wondering)? It does look like just white though.

[​IMG]

I know some are probably wondering when Tennessee began painting their endzones with the checkered pattern that they are famous for and proud of... Here's what the Wikipedia entry for Neyland Stadium says on the topic:

Other than that, I can't believe Tenn used astroturf.... I never noticed it when it was there for some reason, although LSU and Tenn didn't play too often back then I still watched most SEC games that could be televised.

Anyway, found this sort of interesting, and no, I don't want checkers in our endzones. I do miss the arched exterior that is not mostly covered by upper deck expansion.

PS: I've been away and busy for the past couple of months. Sorry to anyone who's PM's I haven't been able to respond to, I'll get around to them soon. Good to be back! What a year we had!!! :wave:

PPS: I'll get rid of that ridiculous Texas Tech "bell ringer" thing in my sig when I have a minute... I thought it was hysterical when I first saw it but now I've seen it more times than anyone should have to. :insane:

2. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Red will be along soon, he might recall.

3. 2arms2legsTIGER

I was thinking along the same lines.... Red will know the answer to this. Then I figured Red might be a little embarrassed to admit to the forum that he is indeed as old as LSU football. Maybe he'll point out where he was sitting in that picture.

4. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Go Milk?

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I go back to the 1970's except for a few games as a youngster in the 60's. In the Cholly Mac era, LSU painted the north endzone with a huge purple and gold LSU and the south endzone painted with the other schools name and colors for big games. It was kind of cool, since nobody else did it. That all changed with Jerry Stoval and LSU was painted in both endzones and has been ever since.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

WTF is the band spelling out?

7. 2arms2legsTIGER

Gov. Leche

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

9. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member