in honor of the union oyster house.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 12, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

just got done watching on food network that the union oyster house in boston is the oldest continuous restaurant in the country since 1826 (plus it serves up plenty of my favorite.....raw oysters). in its honor, here are two recipes for oysters bienville:

oysters bienville by mrs. alex l. andrus, jr in opelousas, la.

ingredients:

1 lb shrimps 1 pt. half and half (or 1 c. cream
    2 pt oysters and 1 c milk)
    1/2 stick butter 1/2 small can parmesan cheese
    4 tbsp flour 1 doz. large patty shells
    salt and pepper to taste

directions:
    boil shrimp in seasoned water. peel and shred shrimp with a fork while still warm. set aside. make a thick white sauce with the butter, flour and half and half. add the cheese and shrimp to sauce and season highly with pepper and salt. heat oysters in a separate pot until the edges curl. (add red pepper to the oysters while they are cooking.) spoon oysters into cream sauce, adding sufficient oyster liquor for proper consistency. fill patty shells with mixture and place in a moderately hot oven for about 10 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.

oysters bienville by mrs. mark bienvenu

ingredients:
    2 tbsp butter 3/4 c. white wine
    2 tbsp flour 2 egg yolks
    2 c. chopped green onions 1/2 lb. chopped boiled shrimps
    1 tbsp minced parsley grated parmesan cheese
    salt and pepper to taste bread crumbs
    1 c. oyster, shrimp or fish stock 3 doz. fresh oysters
    1/2 cup chopped drained mushrooms

directions:
    blend butter and flour in saucepan. add green onions and cook until wilted. add 1 cup oyster, shrimp or fish stock. simmer with mushrooms,parsley, and wine. beat eggs and add slowly to mixture. cook over low heat until thickened. add shrimp and season to taste with salt and pepper. arrange oysters on shells or in ramekins. pour mixture over oysters and top generously with parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. bake at 350 degrees until brown on top.

2. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

A while back they had a show about some New York City restaurants. One of them was an oyster restaurant in Grand Central Station. They featured one of the oyster dishes that they cooked right in front of you. It looked so delicious.

3. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Here's the place.

Grand Central Oyster Bar
    Grand Central Terminal, 89 E. 42nd St.
    New York, NY 10001
    Tel: (212) 490-6650
    Whenever I visit New York again, I won't go back home until I've eaten the "Oyster Pan Roast" at this place. I can't tell you how delicious the dish looked. If you sit at the bar, they make it right in front of you. This dish is first on my list.

4. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I've been to that place in Boston...It's a cool place....