If Saban stays now (I hope!), does he stay at LSU for years?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by houtiger, Dec 22, 2004.

1. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I guess we won't know exactly why he stayed if he does. But if its family reasons, cause they like the bayou, and daughter enters high school, and Nick is about 52 (my age!), if he gives it another 4 years, would he ever go to the NFL?

In another 4 years, he may get really attached to Sat. night in Tiger Stadium.

Or is this an annual event?

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I think this is it. I think Saban knows it.

If he turns down the Miami offer, other NFL teams will not be nearly as agressive in the coming years at going after Saban.

So I believe he stays 4 more years without all the NFL crap going on. Then he leaves.

3. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

I'm thinking that this is either a college or pro type thing. If he stays I think
    he will be in the long run at LSU.

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I agree, this is it for the NFL for Saban. Of course we said that last year.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

The thing about Saban that upsets me the most, is that just last year, after turning down the Bears, he said that he started something here, and for the first time in his coaching career, he wanted to see thru what it is that he started. That he wants to finally finish what he starts.... Well, I have to say, if he's all of a sudden "finished" what he started, or set out to accomplish, then I'm disappointed (NOT in the fact that he brought us 2 SEC titles, 2 Sugar Bowl victories, 4 new Year's Day games and a National title. No I'm certainly NOT disappointed in any of that. I'm disappointed that his statement about "finishing what's started" came AFTER all of those things listed were accomplished).

That lead me to believe that he wasn't satisfied with being a "Hero" and building a "national power". I thought, having said comments like that last year, that he was certainly dedicated to being a "LEGEND" and owner of a "DYNASTY".

....I just didn't think that a 9-2, 2nd in the SEC West, with a Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day, as good as it sounds, could be the culmination of everthing he's started....

I would think that

6. staysaban.com

staysaban.com Founding Member

saban

I agree what everybody has already said, but I just wont to say that if he does decide to stay in which today seems more optimistic for what I've been hearing today, if he doesn't take this job with the dolphins than he's at LSU for several more years. Bet on it. His wife cannot take this year in year out. Nick is loyal and he is not going to do this year in year out.

7. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I think you're right.

We've all heard about the provision of his reworked contract that restricts negotiations with pro teams after January 1. Assuming most franchises not named Miami or Detroit have little interest in flouting the NFL's minority interviewing process, no teams will publicly court Nick in the future before the end of the NFL regular season.

Nick can always pull a "Spurrier" and up and quit right after a bowl game, if there is a sudden opening at a franchise that he really likes. Butch Davis did this to Miami also, so it's not unheard of but, boy, it is inconsiderate to the school suddenly left in a lurch as national signing day approaches.

I agree that the best and classiest thing to do, once he decides to go pro, would be for Nick to come out and say he's resigning, kind of like Tom Osborne (who announced his retirement in early December of 1997) did. This gives NFL teams notice of his availability and LSU a chance to begin a search (and keep recruits as informed as possible as to what's going on).

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I'm just as much as a "staysaban" supporter as anyone, but this is now his 3rd year in a row doing this to us....

He also said that last season that he "wanted to finish what he's started", yet, exactly one year later, he's debating whether or not he's finished here?

:confused:

9. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

I am to the point that it just dosen't matter. If the stays it just means we don't have to go out and find another great coach. Which we will do if he leaves. We were looking when Nick came along. :thumb: :geaux:

10. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Agree. I love Nick Saban as much as the next LSU fan but I would expect this nearly every off-season if he stays with LSU.

He has said numerous times he doesn't want to leave and such and well....it seems to be more of a statement then an actual truth. Not that he is lying but the fact that IMO he means he doesn't want the NFL then has these types of proccesses with NFL teams.