How do you like your steaks?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUTiga, Oct 31, 2010.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Rare, Medium, etc. I like mine medium rare and wish I could bring myself to eating them rare cause I know the least cooked the more tender they are. I like just a bit of blood to ooze when I cut it.

Also, when you grill steaks, how do you determine if they're medium or well. My wife and girls don't like blood so I cook theirs well-done and have to make a slit with a knife but hate doing that- especially if I have to make a couple. Just seems like there has to be a better way.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

medium rare.

when i first started grilling i asked a friend how i would know if my steak was medium rare so i didnt overcook or undercook. i was told to just do the finger poke test and it would have the give of a trampoline. that has not failed yet. i guess for each doneness come up with something you can imagine the feel of how much it gives. we both like med rare so i only have the one to remember.

fow well done, maybe imagine a boot. lol

1 person likes this.
  3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Interesting, will have to try and thanks for the tip.

4. TigerFanNTenn

TigerFanNTenn Founding Member

Medium or medium well. I cannot bring myself to eat medium rare or rare. The flavor would be great, but the texture is horrible. It's a mental thing, I know. Jared loves a rare steak. When I cook them, they always end up medium rare though because I never feel like it's done enough.:dis: I try though, I swear.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I eat mine blue. That is less cooked than rare. If it moos when I cut into it that is ideal.

6. CaseyLSU

CaseyLSU Founding Member

This is the trick I use. Read about it online.

Open the palm of your hand and press your finger to the meaty part right below your thumb. If your hand is wide open, this is how a rare steak feels when you press it.

If you put your index finger to your thumb and press the same spot on your hand, that's medium rare. And so it goes, touching each finger to your thumb. Middle finger = medium, Ring finger = medium well, Pinky finger = well done.

I'm a medium rare girl.

2 people like this.
  7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Charred on the outside and medium rare on the inside. I use a charcoal starter with the Grate from my grill.

8. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I saw a guy do this on the cooking channel and gave it a try. One of the best steaks I've ever made.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Alton Brown did it on Good Eats. His tips made it a lot easier and convenient.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I like good steaks so much that I order them from rare to medium well....just to get variety. I don't like to be stuck in a rut. I order all different types of cuts too. Ribeyes and Filets at the better places, NY strips, Sirloins at the lesser places. I'm not gonna go to Ruth's Chris and order a sirloin there.

Once a lady chef that I hired butterflied a ribeye and stuffed it with Bleu Cheese....I'm not really into gimmicks, but that was divine...it really was. You should try it.

Steak Doneness