Hoops Recruiting (2011)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Mar 10, 2009.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Seems a little crazy to be talking about a recruiting class that's 2+ years out, but what the heck. Trent Johnson's Tigers have a little recruiting momentum going, as smart, good recruits are beginning to see what kind of program CTJ is running and what kind of kids they can become at LSU these days.

John Isaac, only a sophomore, but a man-child at that, is a 6'4" 215 lb 2011 SG recruit that went ahead and committed to Trent Johnson. A kid that has been playing for Pickering in LA since the seventh grade, is already a leader on a team of seniors, and has a pretty well rounded, all-district line of 18.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 8.6 apg and shoots 59 percent from the field. The kid is expected to grow some more and carries a 3.5 gpa.

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=921872

A very nice AAU summer last year found him getting early attention from a lot of big schools, and when LSU offered, the kid (along with his family) just felt it was the right between him and CTJ. Also, Isaac made a comment that the fan support returning to the PMAC during the games he attended made an impression.

Gotta love it.
    :geauxtige LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE A PART OF THE TRENT JOHNSON ERA.

2. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

I think this a a big pick up for a few different reasons. 1 he's from LA 2. he's been starting varsity B-ball since 7th grade, with that much experience he's not going to be your average freshman, may even be able to provide leadership his first year 3. he's in 10th grade and he's only going to get bigger and stronger and hopefully smarter. His sophomore stats are pretty good and show's that he has an all around game i'd be willing to bet this guy is top 50 before it's all said and done 4. he seems to be a high character guy who carries a 3.5 gpa. Looks like a guy CTJ can mold!

3. TGer'nLHornLand

Yes, would generally agree. If there's anyone you give an offer to that early out (and normally CTJ would tell you he doesn't do it that often), you give it to a kid that obviously is very mature for his year.

There's actually been a fair amount of press out on John Isaac b/c of his AAU ball this past year... Here's more on what folks have had to say about him:

ESPN ranks him with a 92 grade, which is high for 2011 kid (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr...ng/tracker/player?recruitId=67041&season=2011)

Here's the Advocate's take:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/41015582.html?showAll=y&c=y

What's interesting about this kid is that at 6'5", the kid plays a lot on the outside, when conventional wisdom at a small LA high school is to put these kinds of kids down low. In fact the kid shot 59% from the field and much of that may be at a "power point" position (although he's got to work on his 3p fg %). According to the article,

Thomas (HS Coach) said when Pickering sets up its half-court offense, it’s often Isaac who handles the ball at the top of the offense.

Thomas said Isaac shot over 50 percent from the floor and 70 percent at the free throw line. He’s also an explosive athlete who Thomas said had a 360-degree dunk in a game this year.

“I’ve never seen a sophomore do that and I haven’t seen many seniors that can do that,...”

If that's not enough to get you to drool, I don't know what is needed.

Other 2011 news includes another good LA player that has been on the LSU radar, 5'10" PG Nick Syrie, whose video has been up on Rivals for a little while now.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recru...36754536&SIG=c737655b36bee3734df339f875dcc661

He's a nice PG prospect with some decent quickness and passing ability. If the Phil Pressey thing doesn't work for us next year, you see the gap between the Bo Spencer-Chris Bass era to a potential Nick Syrie signing not being a huge gap, perhaps.

As for beyond 2011 (and no, I don't think we should start a 2012 thread just yet), here is a glimpse of what's coming. ALOT of nice players in LA already getting pub...

http://www.hoopsreport.com/news/eventreports/2008fabfroshandjrallamericancamp
    :geauxtige LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE A PART OF THE TRENT JOHNSON ERA.

4. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

5. TGer'nLHornLand

So, ESPN's new Top60 is out for 2011, and John Isaac just misses the list...

College Basketball Recruiting - ESPNU 100 - ESPN

and no other LA kids are up there. So, the glass half full folks will at least say that LSU wrapped up already the top LA player for 2011, while the glass half empty folks will say why hasn't Trent gotten commitments from some of the Top60?

For 2012, LA does have one player getting headlines and that's Ricardo Gathers, 6'6" 235lb man-child who is number 11 on their Top25 for 2012. Trent is I hope all over this one.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

So, I just came to this revelation, in running the numbers layed out in the 2010 hoops recruiting thread (call me slow :)).

I think that the 2011 class becomes a pretty short discussion depending on what happens in this upcoming 2010. Assuming Noel Johnson comes to LSU, Trent signs a full class in 2010, and assuming no one leaves, we'd essentially have only 1 schollie to use in 2011 (only Bo Spencer graduates that year). That schollie is already spoken for by John Isaac. Perhaps that's one reason why John committed so early.

Obviously, there are a lot of ifs in there, but it does appear that Trent his heading towards a full class in 2010, unless he does decide strategically to keep another schollie open for 2011. That gives kids like Nick Syrie some chance to play at LSU. But, that may also explain why Trent went after a very versatile kid in John Isaac who could rotate in any guard spot and arguably could play some SF, if need be.

Let's see what happens obviously in 2010. :yelwink2:

The following recruiting year (2012-13) opens back up with at least 3 schollies. One of whom is reserved for Ricardo Gathers.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

8. TGer'nLHornLand

It's a slow sports time... period. But, not to completely be without some hoops news for all of the hoops fans, this story DOES affect recruiting.

The buildout of the new PMAC practice facilities continues, although final complete date may be delayed to November... so it won't be completely ready for the start of the season, and the crucial September-October fall recruiting season. Nevertheless, I think recruits can definitely begin to see what the hoops', gymnastics, volleyball, etc. teams are going to be getting. I.e., a best in SEC kind of facility. A much needed thing in basketball, and honestly, a very underrated addition to help Van and Trent recruit...

2theadvocate.com | Sports | Waiting not a problem — Baton Rouge, LA

Will be in full affect for 2011 classes and beyond. :yelwink2: :thumb:

9. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

That was a nice article, will help CTJ with recruiting in a huge way.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Florida, LSU offer Marshall Plumlee | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times