Hello everyone...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Techstudent, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Techstudent

Techstudent Freshman

Just wondering how recruiting went for you? What recruits have a chance to see time as a true freshman? Of course, our top recruit is Marcus Vick, he has a chance to start. Then we have DT Jonathon Lewis, who will figure into the 2 deep. We also signed the top JUCO DT, Jimmy Williams, who will start for sure. Also, WR Fred Lee will play. He is 5-9 175 with 4.3 speed. We also signed an Ath also named Jimmy Williams who could play as a true freshman. BTW, we had a player, Keith Burnell, who broke the school record with a 4.21 40 today. He started at tailback for part of the season last year, where he rushed for 800 yards. Since we have Suggs and KJ coming back, he will be given a look at either CB or WR this spring. Expect to see him on the field somewhere this fall. Anyway, just thought I would stop by to give some info and ask a few questions. How many of you are planning to make the trip up to the Burg this year for the game? Take Care.

2. puttytat

puttytat Founding Member

We had a very good recruiting class......

not because it was or was not nationally ranked, but because the kids we got filled some much needed holes in the offensive line, defensive line, and secondary. The last two classes have been more highly touted, but I think this one will hold its own when the time comes. As we all know, we can't analyze the success or failure of a class until 2-3 years later. I DO plan to make the trip to B'burg, VA and looking forward to it. I am from VA and an LSU alum so my interest is two-fold.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I'm going to do everything possible to be there but will have to check on the logistics of it all. Puttytat made a good point about filling holes. LSU has always had problems recruiting on the O-Line and D-Line. This years class combined with last year should make this a team strength in the near future. The Tigers may not have landed all of the top skill guys out there so it's fortunate so many good ones are coming back. It sounds as if the talent in Louisiana next year will more than make up for it, however.

Off the subject of recruiting, can any Hokies first give me a quick explanation on what a Hokie is and next compare (height, style) the top 2-3 WR's for V. Tech next year? I know a little about the QB situation and have heard about the RB's. I'm sure the D will be sound like always. What about the O-Line?

4. Geauxnads

Geauxnads Guest

4.21 forty time my ARSE!!!

They must wait for hurricane type winds to run and time the 40!!!

That broke the record of a 4.25 time, right???

Didn't Michael Vick get timed at 4.33 or something??? He's listed at 4.46 time now. What happened???

VT must borrow their time clocks from Arkansas!!!!

5. Techstudent

Techstudent Freshman

We run our 40s on our indoor track, which is state of the art and very fast. Vick ran a 4.25 his sophomore year, and he was timed at a 4.36 by the Falcons. The only thing I use these times for is to compare them to former fast players on our team. I think everyone will agree that Vick is very fast, so if Burnell beat him under the exact same conditions, then Burnell must be very fast. The 40 times are hand timed instead of electronically, so they are a little innacurate. Burnell is being moved to Rover next year, which is Strong Safetly/Outside Linbacker in our system. He rushed for 800 yards last year, but with KJ and Suggs returning there is little room in our backfield.

6. Techstudent

Techstudent Freshman

Answer to another question above...

A Hokie is basically a cheer that was made up by a student in the 1890s. It just stuck. Our tallest WR is 6'5 215 Ernest Wilford. We have a few others around 6'1. We are losing a lot of DTs, but we did sign the top JUCO DT...Jimmy Williams. He will start. Our D will be sound, like you said. Our O-line was yound last year, but have more potential than our previous lines that were very good. 6-7 330 pound Jon Dunn will start at tackle. He was one of the top O-linemen in the nation a few years ago, we beat out FSU and others for him. He will be a redshirt-sophomore. I look for him to be very good. Jake Grove, who played guard last year, but will probably move to center this season, will be our best offensive lineman. Our O-line will be very good IMO. Our backfield will be far and away the best in the nation, with KJ and Suggs.