Has this season "seemed different" to you?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by houtiger, Nov 11, 2007.

1. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I don't recall, and I've been watching LSU football games since 1960, I don't recall going into a season thinking we had such a legitimate chance to win the national championship. In 2003, I did not go in with that expectation, but what a pleasant surprise. When I looked at what was returning on defense this year, it gave me a good feeling. I thought we could replace 3 players and while we do miss Landry at safety, we're still plenty good. We had a lot of questions at QB, RB, receiver, and the o-line, but we had reason to believe we'd be OK at all of them if players matured and played to their 'star ratings'. So, I went into this season feeling we had the most legit shot at winning out. The last 2 seasons, I picked us 10-2, 10-2, and this year, 11-1. I thought playing our toughest games in BR this year would help us a little, and I think it did.

I think we were comfortable with Miles and Pelini. We weren't with Crowton, but we were tired of Jimbo (some of us, including me) and ready for a change. Crowton's reputation, we thought we'd like, and I think we have, usually.

So, how about you? Did you feel differently going into this year?

1 person likes this.
  2. jesuit_flyer

jesuit_flyer Founding Member

Strangely comfortable...

We're exceeding my expectations so far...I thought, like you, that our defense would keep us in most games. However, having to replace so much talent on the offensive side of the ball, while adding a new system/coach seemed too much to ask for a college team.

The comfortable part of the equation came from knowing Flynn was a level-headed QB that could move the chains with his feet if he had to...

If you take Doucet away from this offense, they're a very average collection of new comers and raw talent. It's incredible that folks on here are disappointed we're not "starting faster" on offense! When your team has to start a white fullback as your tailback it's not doing so out of loyalty or seniority is doing it out of necessity.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Had Jimbo Fisher been the OC this season, LSU would have between 3 and 4 losses.

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

No question. Considering the questions that houtiger spoke of, as well as being new to the team, what he's gotten out of the offense has been remarkable. And honestly, I have good reason to believe that we'll even be much better next year. I don't think that he's getting enough credit, as our offense has had to bail us out of several games. That's why it baffles me to hear people complaining about the offense.

5. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

I think because we were so deep in talent, it gave me a sense of confidence about the Tigers I have not had in a long time. Years past in very close games I've seen the Tigers just (for lack of a better term) "accept fate". Not these kids...it almost seems "ordained" that this season was gonna be different. Even now, the pieces of fate seem to be falling into place like a puzzle for them. I think more than anything else, its "attitude"! And "that" my friends, is "coaching"! "Why not us"...and, "why not now"!!!

:tigereye::tigereye::tigereye::tigereye::tigereye:

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Also, consider that this is the first year of a new offense. You cant implement an entirely new and different system in one year. As these players spend more time in the system, schemes and assignments will become more second nature, which makes it easier on the young guys to pick it up.

Jimbo had a track record of defeloping QBs while at LSU and at Auburn before that. It remains to be seen if Crowton will develop them as well, but I like what I've seen, so far.

7. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

I did not feel that different heading into the season than previous seasons. I knew the schedule played to our favor and that we should be pretty good and contend for the MNC.

But I admit, I got spoiled early in the year. Crushing Miss St and Vtech made me feel vastly different about this year's team. At the time, I wasn't sure how good either team was but I sure felt good about the Tigers.

So the middle part of the season has frustrated me a bit. Yes, we have won games but I still believe we can play better... and saw that early in the year.

I have this crazy feeling that we will have a couple of solid games with few mistakes before this season is out. Hopefully, one of those will be in NO.

1 person likes this.
  8. J from Iowa

J from Iowa Founding Member

What the hell does being white or black have to do with anything? Does race determine how good of a football player one can be now?

Outside of that ridiculously idiotic statement, Hester is one of the fastest guys on the team and he never fumbles the ball. CLM is in love with the guy. Hester was never a true fullback anyway. He was listed as such to give the QB another check down passing option out of the backfield. With Shawn Jordan and Quinn Johnson around, he was never going to be a big time blocking FB.

Keiland, Charlie, and Richard Murphy will all be fighting like hell for the starting spot next year. We have more running back talent then we know what to do with right now. Hester has more than earned his started role, he didn't get it by default.

1 person likes this.
  9. coolcorgi

coolcorgi Freshman

Dorsey, Doucet and Flynn's LEADERSHIP, backed by a very calm and stoic Coach Les Miles, along with his deeply talented STAFF, is "standing out" as an obvious difference this season for me.

Pelini and Crowton, along with Moffet and ALL other coaching/recruiting/trainer staff positions, are A-1 Professionals. Miles may appear "slow" and/or lucky to many, but he is not. The media is not wild about Miles, because he does not give good "sound bites" or interview that well. Miles is not a fake, like Pete Carroll, who will commiserate with them and make them look/sound good. From the very beginning, I knew Miles's "heart" was with Michigan. And that's good, as it should be, and understandable. If he leaves, he will do it with dignity and respect, unlike Saban. But do not underestimate the passion, likeability, food, fans, women (the absolute finest on the planet) and weather that LSU and South Louisiana offer. Miles is not stupid. Louisiana State University is one very cool place to "be" and coach. Michigan is not going anywhere. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Miles, unlike Saban, has MANY - perhaps his best - years left. Saban's glory years were at LSU, and appear may be over. He has aged dramatically.

Geaux Tigers. Our future looks very bright.

10. tenebrism

tenebrism Founding Member

i'll be honest here, it does seem different. all last season i kept thinking "wait till next year! wait till next year!" then all spring and summer all you heard on the web, radio, print, etc. was this is the year this is the year.

then the year started. i never got into the miss st. game. it was just a blip on my radar while i drank beers and talked politics. the va tech game was amazing and i left it thinking "man, we played a perfect game. we'll never play like that again."

and we haven't. i don't know what my problem is this year but i don't even get nervous walking up to the stadium. it just seems like... i don't know... but it definitely seems different.

i think i'm a product of being over-hyped. i was excited and nervous about florida, now i'm just watching the season as if i'm an outsider. it's definitely crazy.

all that sappy crap said, i'll be just as excited as anyone if we win the sec and maybe the bcs. right now though i just feel like we overhyped ourselves as fans. two years from now when we have a legit shot again, i want it to be left at that haha. no embellishing or anything, just we have a shot, move on.