Gilbert a L-Horn, Reduces Shepard's Options to play QB at UT

Discussion in 'College Recruiting' started by Pringle, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Pringle

Pringle FUSC and FND

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=771848

With Texas signing Garrett Gilbert, a 5-Star QB so early, that should eliminate the chances of Texas taking Russell Shepard strictly because they would offer him a chance to be a QB, if we were not going to. But then again everyone else in the country is recruiting this kid so they might offer him that chance too if he really wants it. I just know that he was a Texas lean and this has to change that right?

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Shepard says he would like to play QB as his first option but is not adverse to playing WR.

It certainly won't help Texas recruit this kid, it will all depend on how the Longhorn camp handles the situation and if they can get him to buy into a non-QB position.

It evens the playing field, is my guess.

3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Thought he looked familiar.....

4. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

He actually played rather well after the OC started calling the plays right. Once he came in it was like GC was calling the plays. He had to have about 8+ drops, the WRs did him a very big disservice, the WR drops cost Texas a comeback.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Other than the interceptions he threw, staring down his receivers when the tight end was wide open in the middle of the field.

6. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Once the OC started calling plays that made sense unlike those stupid running sweeps after sweeps then getting them into a 3rd and long, thereby putting the young QB in a position to fail... he did very good. The WRs killed the QB and stalled drives once the OC starter calling non-Crowton plays. Overall not bad at all for his first start on that stage, he is going to be very good.

Two and half quarters of Crowton calling plays with WRs dropping easy easy passes pretty much wrapped this one up. At least the OC pulled his head out of his ass before the end of the game, our OC would still be calling sweeps down 2 TDs, no never mind our OC would be calling combination of sweeps and options runs to the short side of the field for negative yards.

Now I know why Shepard is in BR.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

not bad, but he has the same problem that most young QBs have, he stared down a ton of receivers, yes they dropped passes, but some of those passes were behind them, especially the one Shipely dropped. On that interception he stared down Shipely, didnt even look at the tight end.
    I agree, I thought Crowton was calling the plays for a while, they should have let the guy throw the ball down the field when he first got in and not wait to build his confidence, its the National Championship, what are you waiting for?
    But he has problems that need to be corrected, his throwing motion isnt all that great either and telepathing passes killed alot of those drives as well.

I watched the game instead of listening to Herbstret make excuses for the guy.

8. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

To be honest I don't know how a kid could really do any better being in that situation, if they were playing Troy or something but the NC game with Alabama and probably the best defense with no run game. Texas would have had a much better chance of winning if the OC would have just said hell with it in the first half. I didn't feel like he was staring down a receiver except for the last INT at the end of the game and he really didn't have much choices at that point. He was nervous the first couple of series, the sweeps just totally killed him, and those WRs just totally killed drives even the announcers were saying it... it wasn't 1 or 2 easy passes it was quite a few. By the 4th quarter I thought he was making the Alabama defense look average.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

That first pick he threw, he starred Shipely down on that slant, but the tight end was open up the seam. Its a hard situation, but thats on the OC, build the kids confidence, when he gets in the game, dont wait till its almost over. He did have some very good series and his reads where right on with the touchdowns he threw. Thats my point I dont listen to the annoucers, the dropped passes hurt and those sweeps did too, but he killed alot of those drives himself until the playcalling got better, when they opened up his options and didnt have every receiver running the same route on a play.

10. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Pretty much agree with that. I was going to go to bed but I just had this feeling they were going to come back with that kid. In some ways I thought Texas kind of dominated Alabama but they just dug themselves a too big a hole. Ended up being a good game for the last quarter and half.