Gigging Flounder

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by Cajun Sensation, May 14, 2009.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

If the winds die down I'm probably going to take the kids gigging for flounder tomorrow night on Ocean Springs Beach. I just bought a flounder lantern from Wal-Mart. They used to be something like $34.99 but somehow they got me for $49.99 then I had to buy the mantles and propane tank. Anyway, my kids are 7 and 3. This is the first time that I've taken both of them at the same time. I have a feeling I'm going to get a gig through the foot.

We exclusively go flouder gigging by wading. We don't get in a flat bottom boat. My dad raised me to wade and so I'll raise my kids to wade. I don't have a problem with ppl who do it from a flatbottom boat, however I think it's a bit more adventerous and sportsmanlike to wade.
    [​IMG]

I use a single pronged gig. I don't do the multi-prongs b/c I don't want to mess up the filet. All it takes is one prong. The only thing that sucks about floundering is that it's hard to drink beer while you do it......unless you get someone else to hold the lantern for you, but that gets aggrevating quick. Everytime you think you see something, the guy with the lantern usually points the lantern in the other direction. :grin:

[​IMG]

You can see the lantern that I just bought from Wally World here: www.flounderlite.com

Is there any floundering going on in your neck of the woods?

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Strap a small inner tube with a Playmate in it to your waist by a cord. You should be able to prop the open can up aginst the cooler. Where there's a will...

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

No flounder gigging up here in Abita... more like this:

[​IMG]

4. Cajun Sensation

That's awesome. Never been frog gigging. Tell me about it. Start a thread. I would love to learn all about it.

5. stevescookin

You're hanging off the fromt of a small flat bottom boat in a pond while the other guy uses a fourche or paddles to maneuver the boat. Your Bulleye reflects the light off their eyes. You gotta remember one thing mainly: Frog's eyes are a lot closer together than alligators' are.

I gig them but a lot of people just grab them.

6. stevescookin

Here's a story about how dangerous frog gigging can really be.

[​IMG]Frog Giggin' Accident in Arkansas[​IMG][SIZE=-1]
    1998 Urban Legend[/SIZE]

(1996) Two local men were seriously injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on state Highway 38 early Monday morning. Woodruff County Deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday.
    Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock, are listed in serious condition at Baptist Medical Center. The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog-giggin' trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pickup truck's headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. A replacement fuse was not available, but Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet, the headlights again began to operate properly and the two men proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge.
    After traveling approximately 20 miles, just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The vehicle swerved sharply to the right, exiting the pavement and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident but will require surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released.
    "Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston (shot his intimate parts off) or we might have been dead," stated Wallis. "I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how the accident happened," said Snyder. Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia, Poole's wife, asked how many frogs the boys had caught. Incorrectly attributed to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, 25 July 1996. The Gazette issued a decisive statement denouncing this story as a hoax on October 17, 1997.

The Gazette correctly surmised that the truth would probably hurt recruiting for the University of Arkansas... hence the denunciation!

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

we always grabbed them. and remember the white belly looks very similar to that of a water moccasin -so i learned. almost relinquished the boat but he was in my hand. wasnt much i could do.

8. Cajun Sensation

Just got back from "floundering" tonight. Can't gig flounder if you can't see 'em. The water was really dirty. The kids still had fun though. I let the boy stab a few crabs and they played in the water a little. Saw a man and a woman making love on the beach. Told the kids they were wrastling. Other than that it was a beautiful night.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

PETA has been alerted.

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Backstabbin' bastids...:rolleye33:

Whenever I actually get to STAY home for a while, I wanna come down and go floundering with either one of you. I haven't done that in EONS! The last time I went floundering was in Perdido as well, TB3. But it was about 20 years ago!