Gas or Grill?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by CajunlostinCali, May 13, 2009.

?

Gas Or Grill?

Poll closed Apr 13, 2011.
  1. I am a person who cares, therefore I am a griller

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. Gas is easier, which is why I am a sinner

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Summer is right there and so with that comes why heat the kitchen? Let's take it outside.

I was in Home Depot the other day and I saw a sea of gas grills out there. Not one single grill and so I ask myself why this is? I have no answer. I am a griller, period. I use charcoal and or wood because my meats deserve nothing but the best. Frankly, I could only see the use of a gas grill for maybe heating the corn or some bread, but that is about it.

This is my grill. Not near as pretty but that is only because I use it often, exclusively through the summer.

[​IMG]

So what ya got and why?

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I use gas for steaks, vegetables, and some pork. But I use charcoal for ribs, chicken, hams, turkeys and other stuff like that. Charcoal seals the juice in the meat better than gas. Gas cooks to fast sometimes. Maybe I can come out there one day and teach you how to use both properly. lol.

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Gas is easier and I have never taken the time to get good with a charcoal grill. However, that excludes me from cooking some things. I won't try to barbecue ribs or chicken on my gas grill. I understand that needs to be done on charcoal and so if I'm not going to do it that way, I just don't cook it.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I felt that way once, but a girlfriend got me a gas grill in the 90's and it really ain't that bad and it's damned handy. It's not an either/or choice--many of us have both. A proper smoker is still best for long, slow cooking of a brisket or other barbeque, but for grilling steaks, hamburger, chicken, shish-ka-bob, and other quick cooking stuff, the gas grill is fine. The stones give off enough smoke from the drips that it doesn't taste like you broiled in in the oven or something.]

5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I agree with the use of both but I am after the either/ or's and there are many. Some folks just do not like the flavor off the grill so there is gas. My point is when you geaux to HD, or Lowes ALL you see is gas. Not so easy to find just a grill anymore. So what's the obsession with gas other then it helps them sell more propane?

I like to grill for the challenge and to incorporate technique. I love to smoke when I have the time but that takes time. I usually only smoke around holidays but every once in awhile I will smoke a salmon fillet just to later add to an alfredo. I have had smoked turkey some 10 years running for bird day and wouldn't have it any other way.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

both

7. LSUMASTERMIND

got anymore good advice:hihi:

8. tirk

yes, when you serve my steak bring a beer.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

the fag beer like Bud Light Lime?

10. tirk

i would punch you in the nuts. wait, if its free id adapt. but abita amber, thanks.

nice grill, cali. hadnt read the thread til now but use gas mostly. too convenient.