Games of disinterest

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If I was you wouldn't be able to claim a share of the 2003 natty.

furduknfish likes this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that the AP reps from Louisiana voted against that idea, lol. Would you have been against the SOS formula that was based on opponents' straight records (2/3) and opponents' opponents' records (1/3)? Would you have been in favor of an LSU/USC matchup as opposed to Choklahoma?

The loss LSU had that season was 2 weeks after USC's loss. That was always a problem for teams who have lost late(r) in the season. Check this out from a paper on AP voter bias....

"Using censored tobit modeling, we find evidence of bias toward teams (1) from the voter’s state, (2) in conferences represented in the voter’s state, (3) in selected Bowl Championship Series conferences, and (4) that played in televised games, particularly on relatively prominent networks. We also find evidence of inordinate bias toward simplistic performance measures – number of losses, and losing in the preceding week – even after controlling for performance using mean team strength derived from 16 so-called computer rankings. "

[​IMG]

How many of those x's and o's on the right are staying up until 1AM to watch west coast games?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If I had become a member of the media no telling where my career path would have taken me. I might have even been living in California covering west coast football. I still would have followed the rules and voted for the winner of the BCS Championship ond the holder of the crystal football.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

You are way too invested in this. Careful you don't end up like @Taint.

5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Shoulda had a playoff. Otherwise it's subjective, which USC knew going in. Regardless, USC gets plenty of subjective boost.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If there had been a playoff second seeded LSU would have played third seeded USC in the first round and kicked their asses all the way back to LaLa Land.

el005639 and lsu-i-like like this.
  7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

8. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

I still don't care about the west coast

9. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

5 USC vs 16 Washington State,.. now on espn. Good matchup, I'm picking USC, the Cougs haven't played anybody good thus far. Wazoo's Stadium capacity 33,000

Brian likes this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I'd claim it if I were a USC person. Too bad we didn't get to see that game. Would have been epic.