Freedom Fries, Toast, Etc.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by J_Oats, Mar 15, 2003.

1. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

Congress actually spent time changing the name of food in the cafeteria to protest the French.

If I ever go to the capitol to watch a session of congress, I guess I'll have to bring a a coloring book and a toy car to entertain the representatives, because apparently they are 6 years old.

Some idiot restaurant owner in North Carolina looking for attention started this garbage a few weeks ago, and these grandstanding jackasses have taken the idea and run with it.

If I go into a restauant where they sell Freedom fires, or liberty fries, or American fries, there will be murders(okay, maybe not, but I will walk out.)

I'm no lover of the French, but this is just so childish and ridiculous.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

If politicians think that's what people want them to do, that's what they'll do. Their entire existence is spent seeking votes. That's their only motivation. It's disgusting.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I read in the Advocate this morning that the French Quarter will not be renamed to The Freedom Quarter

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Good. A little lampooning of the French is okay. But let's not take this too seriously folks. Why should we even care what the French think anyway, one way or another?

Read something this morning where a group of French citizens are getting up a petition to demand we give the Statue of Liberty back to them, because we have proven unworthy of it. Let's stop this now before it gets ridiculous.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Hey, we need the French. Who else would be better to teach the Iraqis how to surrender.

This is actually true. Do a search on google.com for "French Military Victories" It will come up with nothing found on that subject

Gen. George Patton said that he would rather have a German division in front of him than a French division behind him

Being of Cajun French heritage myself I hate it that our former countrymen, some of whom are probably distantly related to us are so spineless but I know for a fact that us Coon Asses have a hell of a lot more backbone.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Can you believe that one of the top French chefs actually commited suicide because some food critic took away 1 star from his restaurant? I consider myself a pretty good cook but if somebody told me my etouffe sucks I wouldn't kill myself. I'd just tell him that if he didn't like it he didn't have to eat it Would just leave more for those who do like it

7. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

Actually Bengal B, this might change your perspective on the story, but the chef got two stars taken away from his restaurant. He went from a 19 to a 17. I it had just been one star, okay, thats unresonable, but he lost two, so I can understand it ;)

The french have won some wars, napoleon and such. Then Napoleon's grandson(I think) attacked Prussia for no apparent reason in the late 19th century, I think he was afraid they were getting too powerful, and the Prussians quickly kicked their asses. That was the end to any French success on the battlefield.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The frogs can Freedom Kiss my ass.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

He didn't lose 2 stars. In reality he didn't even lose one star. The drop from 19 to 17 was some rating system other than the Michelin Guide. I think this guy's restaurant was a 4 Star and remained a 4 Star. The 2 point drop didn't cause him to lose a star.
    Its sort of like if LSU was ranked 17th and won a game against a mediocre opponent by 17 when they were favored by 40 and dropped 2 places in the poll the next week. I wouldn't be happy about it but its really not that big of a deal

10. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Freshman

We will know when it has gone far enough once they rename french kissing to Freedom Kissing......

But seriously, it is getting a little out of hand. Fine, you dont like something, but a lot of people are acting like they are two doing this tiss for tat type ordeal.