Food service....

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by DallasLSU, Apr 12, 2004.

1. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

What is the worst service you have ever received in your life time. Recently, in Crested Butte, the service at this restaurant was far and beyond the worst I had ever received. We waited an hour and a half for 3 of the same orders and a salad. The three same orders were chicken pastas....Anyone have any terrible service stories?

2. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I went to Chili's with my parents one time and we ended up waiting for like 30 minutes to be seated then another hour and a half for the food. Then every time the waited would come to the table he was a buttmunch. After the food finally came my dad asked the waiter about the long wait time....like a potential discount or something and the waiter got really mad and got the manager person to come talk to us. Meanwhile, the overreactive waiter there was pickin a fight with another person at a different table. Kinda a bad service story, but moreso just an overall terrible restaurant experience. It was kinda insane....needless to say he didn't get a tip.

3. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

I don't even remember the place, but it was in Michigan. I remember a bunch of us law students had to wait almost an hour just to be served, then it took an hour to get the food. The food was cold. Even at THAT I would still tip 15% (I usually tip at 20% and ROUND UP), but the service WAS HORRIBLE. The woman passed us several time and we would ask for more tea and she would rudely respond, "I'LL GET TO IT WHEN I CAN". By the end of the meal, we were all dying of thirst because she hadn't filled our teas up ONE FREAKIN TIME.

Then, when we ask for the check, she FINALLY comes over and starts trying to be friendly and make small talk. WE WEREN'T HAVING ANY OF IT.

I wrote a little note in the bill saying (paraphrasing), "I usually tip at 20% and round up to the nearest $5's. However, your 'service' was the WORST any of us had EVER had - you 'forgot' to fill up our drinks at least 5 times. My tip for you, therefore, is - GET A NEW JOB because I have never given less than a 15% tip and it really makes me angry that FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I am going to ZERO someone. You really shouldn't be in this line of work."

I did that when I was in law school. I had NEVER given less than 15% before that and have NEVER given less than 15% since then. I HOPE I am never forced to do it again.

4. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

it would have to be charlie's steakhouse here in orlando. you pay $20-$30 for a steak dinner but have to wait 30-45 minutes to be seated with reservations (i mean why make them). you can't let the server leave your table or it takes them 20 minutes to get back with you. last meal i ate there it was probably 30 minutes eating and an hour and a half plus waiting on something.......that's over a 3 to 1 wait to eat ratio which spells loser in my book.

5. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I have never given $0 for a tip, but I have been close. Once, on my way back to Dallas from Sante fe...I was waiting in the Albequerque airport and decided to get some food from this little "brewery-chilli's" style place. The waiter came by my table literally 5 times not even acknowledging me. I finally looked at the bus boy and told him that if I didn't have SOME service, I would be late for my flight. The frantic hispanic busboy freaked out and ran to the kitchen. My waiter slowly made his way to my table and I ordered chips and hot sauce to start with a burger for a meal. Big mistake. I waited like 35 minutes(which in an airport restaurant, anything over 15 minutes is ridiculous). So finally the waiter( who hasn't said a damn word to me) brings me my soup, chips and hot sauce, AND burger all at the same time. I ate and gave him a 2.00 tip which is way, way below what I would usually tip. I shouldn't have tipped anything, but I have a little bit of a heart and realize not every is as fortunate as I am...but still....I shouldn't have tipped a damn thing....

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I've encountered several rude or thoughtless waiters that I wouldn't tip. But once a had a totally clumsy oaf waiter who started off by spilling every drink he tried to fill, dropped the bread board on the floor and had to get another, and finished by dropping a bottle of vineagrette about two feet right into my plate of Etouffe, splattering it all over all of us. This was at the old Poets in Village Square.

I never tip a waiter who has been rude or thoughtless to me. But I left a generous tip for this poor bastard then suggested to the manager that the guy was in the wrong business. He's probably a CEO or a State Representative now.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The origin of the word tips is To Insure Prompt Service.

For really bad service I won't leave no tip at all because the waiter mught think I forgot to tip and not get the message. Instead I will leave a one dollar tip even if the bill for the food and drink is over $100. For bad service when I just get a burger or a poboy and the bill is less than $10 I will leave a dime.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

thats a good idea. in college i was a waiter at (at the ground pati, and then don's seafood) and i recall for sure people who forgot to leave a tip, and even people who forgot to pay altogether, then came back later to ask if they had paid and apologized. people make all sorts of mistakes. i have seen two fellas both accidentally pay for a meal so you get a huge 100+% tip.

if you leave a penny or a dime, they definitely get the message that they sucked. of course i always got huge tips because i was quicker than you could possibly imagine, and have what you needed before you realized you needed it.

incidentally here is my politically incorrect racist and sexist analysis of peeps that give the best tips:

1. groups of white males over 25. they are annoyed that anyone would care about calculating exact tip amounts, so they just toss out cash and get out of there.

2. 20ish black guys impressing their dates. they order the best thing on the menu for their woman, and then drop big bills without even looking at the check.

worst tippers:

middle aged white women with calculators. they divide evrything exactly and argue about who owes what, then demand that you smile at them enough times or make conversation about meaningless crap.

ghetto blacks, or white trailer trash that love fried foods. if some pathetic slob comes in and orders only fried foods, you are in trouble, especially if it is fried catfish and shrimp. then they figure they paid enough already for the food and don't have to tip. white trash mofos also sort of take an evil pleasure in ordering college kids around and treat you like a butler, even snapping their fingers to summon you. snap your fingers at me, and you are getting a side of extra spit on your meal (just kidding) (or am i?)

9. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Old people have to be the worst people in the world to wait on. They complain about the temperature in the restaurant just because they have poor circulation. They have to be so difficult with everything they order. They could have a 3 dollar ticket and they still pay with a 100. So you have to round up tons of change and they don't leave you squat. The best tippers are people who are or have been waiters in the past. I wait tables currently, have been for about 2 years now, and make great money. Its a good college job.

10. iluvdatiger

iluvdatiger Founding Member

I can't remember the worse service i ever got but when i was in college i worked at Chili's for awhile then I worked at a bar for a bit.

I would like to add that Pentacostal people are also in the group of NO tippers.

the best tippers are definitely the ones who have worked in the service industry before....I know I tip like 25% and if Im drunk, I tip more than that.

I do have a worst customer story...when i worked at the bar, I was carrying a tray of shots to the bar and a customer came up behind me and licked me from my elbow to my shoulder...In the calmest voice I could give him, I asked him what the hell he though he was doing and he told me he just wanted my attention. Well he got my attention and he was banned from the bar for a year.

I quit working there not long after that.