Fishhead's back...hide your fish.

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by Fishhead, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

First trip since I returned from Chicago...canoe trip with my brother to Fourchon. Just threw in off the side of Hwy 1 and paddled about a minute.

Um, the specks are biting...all fish caught on plastics on a jighead, color doesn't matter, as long as it's chartreuse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A beautiful "roseate spoonbill" feeding along the shoreline...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the money shot...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I repeat, butthead.

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

You used to LOVE it when I posted these reports! Oh wait...that's when you lived several hundred miles away...:hihi:

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I'm ready to make a trip. Lets do this.

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

They're always "biting" when you go out. Do you EVER have a bad outing?

I'd wondered if you were out fishing since I hadn't seen you posting though I haven't been on as much lately.

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I have less productive days, but there is no such thing as a "bad outing" when you're talking about fishing...especially marsh fishing, to me.

7. LSUTiga

Well when it comes to saltwater fishing, you and Nootch are my heroes.

I was supposed to take him to the river to set lines but we never could get together. I miss that little rat bastid.

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I thought about it...and I have a better response to your question.

When I'm off from work, I'm OFF from work...usually a couple of months at a time. I am pretty selective about when I go.

#1--I RARELY go on weekends, unless it's a tournament.

#2--I pay VERY close attention to conditions, such as weather, barometric pressure, wind speed/direction, tides.

My favorite time to go is when it's partly cloudy, falling barometer, light south winds, and moderate tidal movement. Incoming or outgoing dictates WHERE I fish.

Obviously, during the late spring/summer, it's pretty good every day. This time of year, I fish around the fronts. If you recall, a front came thru Tuesday night. That's why I fished Tuesday. I could've gone Monday or Wednesday, but the conditions wouldn't have been what they were Tuesday. Preceding a front, we usually have the warmest day, south winds, and a falling barometer. I don't even know what the tides were, but it didn't matter, because the wind dictated the current...and I fished the current to my advantage.

I don't care whether it's bass, specks, reds, flounder, bream, or crappie...barometer and current dictate the fishing. It's a pain to fish the day after a big cold front...but if you have the right place where the current works to your advantage, it's doable. I just hate cold weather, though.

Tuesday, we fished some borrow pits (sand pits) with a bayou that connected to the Gulf running just south of them. There were cuts from the bayou that flowed into the pits on a rising tide, or in this case, a south wind pushed water thru the cuts. The fish were active due to the falling barometer, so they just stacked up at the entrance of the pits where the bayou was dumping bait into the pit with the current flowing in. The fish are in these pits because it's the deepest water around. The water's cold, so the deeper the better. On warm days, they'll move onto flats nearby to feed...but they won't stray far from the deep water, in case it gets cold again. It's really pretty simple. Oh, and fish S.L.O.W.L.Y!! The fish are not in their spring "fatten up" mode. They're just eating to live. They aren't as aggresive, and don't like to waste energy chasing food. They're just hanging out on or near the bottom, waiting for a morsel to be swept in front of their noses. So you cast upcurrent, and let the bait drop. As it's dropping, it's being "swept in front of their noses". Watch your line/keep slack out. We caught most of our fish the other day before we ever had a chance to even move the bait. They were hitting it on the fall. If you have slack line, or aren't paying attention, you won't know they hit it.

There's your winter marsh fishing lesson of the day. :)

9. LSUTiga

Dang, I swear I try to follow the same things, minus the tide except in the river I watch for a falling one. For freshwater I am only mindful of heavy rains for some places. The run-off makes for muddy water.

When I fish the river I go on Thursdays before the weekend warriors and after the fish have moved back into areas since the previous weekend. We've fished the river and set lines, caught well, but lines that don't get moved seldom catch much, if anything, on a second night.

When I fish yo yo's, one place I go to I try to go on Wednesday nights. It's a big "Church night" in that community and they put yo yo's out Thursday for the weekend. I don't agree with leaving yo yo's out when they're not being fished but this community thinks this particular lake is theirs even though it's for the Parish. I happened to work there and they leave me alone but I'm mindful of that fact and do my thing in ways that don't interfere with their activities.

10. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I'm going fishing this weekend (call me a weekend warrior, but I'm a full time student, daddy and employee during the week) in Bayou LaCroix which is in Bay St. Louis, MS where the Jourdan River dumps into the St. Louis Bay.

I'll let you know how it goes.