First LSU National Championship

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal Buddy, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

If I am not mistaken, didn'T LSU win a national football championship back in the first decade of the 20th century - 1903 or somewhere about that time? The LSU media guide does not mention any championship beyond 1935, but it seems to me I saw some place where we did have an NC way back when. If Michigan can count their 4 or 5 national championships dating back to that decade, then why shouldn't we? If I am correct, that would give us three NCs.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

1908. The undefeated team featured Doc Fenton, an All-American and a College Hall of Fame member.

LSu also won mythical national championships in 1935, 1936 and 1962.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

LSU has 6 national championships in football to go along with Alabama's 143 and Michigan's 98.

4. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

That was funny how much we used to disagree about who the real champs were before the new NCAA playoff system was implemented...

What, you mean it hasn't been implemented yet?????????? :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

the key term is "modern era"... most of the official national championship numbers are based on the modern era, which i believe is basically the television era..

6. bayareatiger

The first LSU game ever televised was the Sugar Bowl win over Clemson for the NC.

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

:hihi: Yeah, those were the days :hihi:

:angry:

8. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Mythical national championships. Please elaborate.

9. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

when all else fails...turn to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythical_national_championship

"In the case of Division I-A college football, the mythical national champion is the top-finishing team in either the AP Poll, a survey of sportswriters, or the USA Today Coaches Poll, determined by Division I-A head coaches.

These two differing authorities have often led to conflicting claims to the championship (a split title or "co-champions"). The current Bowl Championship Series system is an attempt to fix the perceived problem, by placing the number 1 and number 2 teams in a season-ending bowl game to determine the champion. These teams are determined by the BCS ranking system, which itself uses a combination of human voter polls and computer rankings. Currently the Harris Interactive College Football Poll and the Coaches Poll are the major human-driven contributers to the poll. Following the game, the Coaches Poll is under contract to name the champion of the BCS National Championship Game as its national champion.

The AP, whose poll was originally part of the BCS, withdrew the poll from the BCS system after controversies about the rankings. The AP still ranks teams, although it now has no bearing on the BCS. However, were a team to finish the season with the top ranking in the AP Poll but not the BCS, they could claim a "co-champion" status, as the Southern California Trojans did in 2003 (the BCS champion was the LSU Tigers)."

10. bayareatiger

You may now proceed to the Bammer board. :hihi: :hihi: