Fan Behavior

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dplsu, Nov 25, 2002.

1. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

I had an opportunity to sit on the west side of the stadium, section 14, for the first time. My seats are on the east side. But I wanted to try the west and sit behind the home team...NEVER AGAIN!!!

There was a young girl, probably about 15 sitting next to me. She got up to go to the snack stand, and about 2 minutes later I hear an object hit the back of the seat directly in front of where she was sitting. I looked and found a large battery that had been thrown from the upper section. If she had still been in her seat, it would have hit her. I had also brought my 10 year old son and this was his first LSU game. Not long after this first battery was thrown, another came from the upper section and hit my son directly in the back. This battery was travelling at such a great velocity that it actually left a very large mark through a thick coat and a sweatshirt. I've never been more angry in my life. What kind of idiot throws batteries into a crowd. If this person could only have seen the look on my sons face and the tears he was shedding. And me trying to explain why someone would do something like this. Unfortunately, it most probably was thrown by an LSU fan. Both batteries were thrown after LSU turnovers or other mistakes. My best guess is that this moron was trying to reach the LSU sidelines. I hope that I am fortunate enough to be sitting in the stands near an idiot who does this in the future....I guarantee it will be his last. And aside from hitting my son, how terrible is it that a fan would try to hit an LSU player or coach?

Until this incident, it was one of the best days my son and I have had together in a while. I have three sons and I make an effort to do an event of some kind one on one with each of them. Unfortunately this one ended on a bad note. He had trouble enjoying the rest of the game out of fear that another object would hit him and all I could do was keep an arm around him and constantly look to the upper section for flying objects.

My son was so excited to go to this game, he was amazed at the crowds of people, the band, the game, and the tailgating, it was very exciting for him. I don't know if he will want to go to another game again.

I've always been the guy who has defended the behavior of our fans when we are attacked...most often it is a bunch of B.S. If the person who threw these batteries happens to be reading this, you're very lucky that I don't know who you are and you owe my son a very big apology. And if you'd like to meet me somewhere, we can SETTLE UP!!!

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

The person who threw this should be arrested for assault with a deadly weapon. I can only hope that other people around the thrower did the right thing and turn them in (or kick thir ass and then turn them in).:mad:

3. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

Man, that really sucks!!! What is WRONG with people? I know how you feel. If someone hit me with something, I'd be mad as hell, but if they hit one of my kids, I'd want to freakin' kill!! What's going on anymore??? Do so many people have such a punk attitude that they feel it is necessary to do something like this? He probably did it to impress his "friends". The little bastard should be strung up by his shoestrings and be beaten with a sock full of batteries. Maybe that would knock some sense into him.

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I am just curious with the new crack down on this behavior, did you alert an officer and have them call up top and watch like a hawk. I have seen several LSU fans ejected for using foul language, I could imagine one (Assuming it was an LSU fan) throwing objects would be arrested.

Bummer on this, reminds me when I was a boy, (I am a huge hockey fan) and I loved the Blackhawks. My father took me up to Chicago to see a hockey game in Old Chicago Stadium. It was back in the day when the NHL was nothing but fighting. The teams fought for 20 minutes then the fans started fighting and it turned into a riot. I was crushed, just crushed.

So I can relate.

5. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

Yes TT. There was an EBRPSO and a State Trooper who were notified. I don't suppose there is much radio communication between officers in our section and the upper deck. All the officers really did was continue to look to the upper deck for more objects to try and see specifically where they came from.

Look, I know that even with this crack down on behavior, you can't catch everyone. If someone wants to throw an object, it wouldn't be too hard to do it and not be seen by officers. I do however, find it hard to believe that no other fans saw the incident. Maybe they didn't report it out of fear of getting involved...who knows.

That isn't my point though. I think LSU does a great job in general of attempting to control 92,000 fans. And I think for the most part, our fans behave as well as any. I had a friend in from Alabama for the UA game and other than some "tigerbaits" and an occasional "What bowl game are y'all going to this year.", she was treated very well.

It's just incredibly unfortunate that being hit with flying objects is a risk that you have to take if you want to see your favorite team play on a Saturday night. AND now my thoughts are "what would have happened had he been hit in the head with the battery" that would have been a completely different scenario...it could have caused much more damage.

Now I have to decide if bringing my children is worth the risk. I've never been one that would consider changing my behavior and the things I like to do because of the behavior of others...but when it concerns my childrens well being, that is different. And isn't it a shame that I have to be hesitant to take my son to what should be a family friendly event?

6. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Bummer Dp. I would encourage you to return with your children to Tiger Stadium. Remind them what it is to be an LSU tiger and that those people do not represent our state or our institution.

What really bothers me is that another LSU fan did not see this and stop it. If I had been there, I would have beaten them for you. I have on many occasions asked fellow tiger fans to stop making a fool of us all.

Being a Tiger fan is a priviledge, I read on other boards how they say that we are jealous of them, we wish we were a Bama, Auburn, or Florida fan for example. All great places, but there is no place I would rather be on a Saturday night then Death Valley wearing my colors proud. I would not trade it for the world. I am sure your children will learn this as well.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We have to self-police this business. Earlier this year someone in my section threw a cup. When the security guard came up and asked who threw it about 30 people pointed out the culprit. They quickly got a cop to come up and haul his sorry ass out.

Each one of us must be responsible for our sections and point out the jerks to the cops.

If I were AD, I wouldn't just eject them, I would identify them and totally bar them from all future athletic events. And if it's for throwing something, I would arrest them and haul him off to the jail cell! And prosecute them to the max for public endangerment.